IPCHAINS: Different IP for outgoing and inbound traffic?

IPCHAINS: Different IP for outgoing and inbound traffic?

Post by Alexis » Sat, 16 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Hello

Up until today my internal LAN was masqueraded behind a single public IP
address, assigned to the external interface of my IPCHAINS firewall.

I have just been granted a range of IP addresses from my ISP.

I know I can assign more than one IP address to each network card (I think).
What I want to do is have all inbound traffic (e.g. web pages coming in to
the internal LAN, FTP traffic etc etc) on one IP address, and all outbound
traffic (e.g. web pages from my WWW server, FTP traffic outbound from my FTP
server etc) from a different IP address.

Is this possible using IPCHAINS?

If so, any pointers in modifying my existing setup would be most
appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Alexis M
< a l e x _ m 7 4   at   h o t m a i l   dot   c o m >

IPCHAINS: Different IP for outgoing and inbound traffic?

Post by Jaso » Sat, 16 Sep 2000 04:00:00

If you dont mind me asking, why would you want to do this if it's all on the
same line?

--
                         Jason
          www.cyborgworkshop.com

IPCHAINS: Different IP for outgoing and inbound traffic?

Post by Alexis » Sun, 17 Sep 2000 07:07:20

The IP address that shows in a number of places, e.g. web logs, ftp sites,
IRC etc etc will have all inbound ports closed. I want to use a different IP
address (known only to internal users) for accessing the local web services,
ftp etc.

Just an idea to make the network here a bit more "hidden" (if that is an
appropriate word).

Alexis M

Quote:> If you dont mind me asking, why would you want to do this if it's all on
the
> same line?

> --
>                          Jason
>           www.cyborgworkshop.com
> ...and the geek shall inherit the earth...

1. Can portfw masq outgoing traffic to a different port?

Here's what I have:

-Linux DSL router using fli4l, on a floppy (great thing!)
-kernel 2.2.4 if I am not mistaken much
-ipmasqadm running
-masking works fine, no problems
-internal network 192.168.6.0/24

What I want to do is to divert outgoing traffic from 192.168.6.2 -->
100.99.98.97:1200 (not actual value, just for argument)  to
100.99.98.97:1201.

In other words. Some application I have is trying to connect to a given
IP/Port on the outside, which works fine. Unfortunately it uses the wrong
port, so I want to force it to another.

I looked at redir, which is a small tool to redirect traffic, but I can not
change the IP adress my local application is using, so it's a no go.

I tried
ipmasqadm portfw -a -P tcp -L 100.99.98.97 1200 -R 100.99.98.97 1201
which seems logical to me, but simply doesnt do anything.

Any ideas?

Chris Scholz

2. {HELP}cc/ld OK, but failed if run it?

3. PPP: Does outgoing traffic slow incoming traffic?

4. NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 2 October 2002 WWWAC: Elmo's Free Software: Lessons Learned in Migrating Sesame Workshop from Vignette Story Server

5. Outgoing TCP/IP traffic redirection

6. fonts/override empty after restart

7. Ip Masquerading, Routing different kinds of traffic.

8. Problem with connect and Solaris 2.1

9. inbound IP Forwarding to private IP?

10. Any way to ipchain all except forward one IP to a different gateway?

11. Ipchains question: Redirect to different IP.

12. How to listen for inbound traffic with Netcat?

13. Help in dropping inbound multicast and unicast UDP traffic.