Try as I may, I cannot get Squid (2.2 Stable) to start. The error
message is as follows"
Executing: /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S90squid start
> Starting squid: squid
* 1999/05/19 20:25:14| Squid is not safe to run as root!
If you must start Squid as root, then you must configure
it to run as a non-priveledged user with the
'cache_effective_user' option in the config file.
* FATAL: Don't run Squid as root, set
* Squid Cache (Version 2.2.STABLE2): Terminated
* CPU Usage: 0.030 seconds
* Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
* Page faults with physical i/o: 198
I have set "cache_effective_user" to user "squid" group "squid"
per the default installation parameters.
I am using RH 5.2, kernel 2.0.36. Any suggestions welcomed!