Virtual domain and popping mail - loss of envelope

Virtual domain and popping mail - loss of envelope

Post by Mark Mor » Fri, 20 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I've got someone hosting my domain for me and all the mail for the
domain is funneled into a single account at that ISP.  I've got
fetchmail popping the mail off and then passing it along to procmail,
which then forwards it to sendmail to put in each individuals mailbox
here locally.

1. Can this be done more simplistically?  (I'm using 3 different
programs just to get the mail sorted!)  I tried just having procmail
place the mail directly in the user's mailbox, but my imap clients
couldn't see the new msg's. I could 'cat' the /var/spool/mail/mailbox
file and see the new msg's there though.

2. From the research I've done in the FAQ's and the WWW I guess the
'mail envelope' is lost when you pop the mail.  The problem then
arises with mailing lists which list the To: field as 'multiple
recipients of mailing list XYZ'.  How can I get these into the proper
mailbox????  I see one of the received lines has for

to have to be pretty complex to pull this out and likely prone to
error.

Any suggestions?  Should I ask the ISP to just queue the mail from me
and I pull it in via sendmail via ETRN?  I saw something like that
mentioned in my research, but I don't quite understand it.  My domain
actually is located on another machine and the local machine is not
visible to the rest of the world.  (IE., no assigned IP, nor domain.)

Mark Moran

http://mmoran.com/tm.htm

Virtual domain and popping mail - loss of envelope

Post by Ahme » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Your problem is same like mine! But i m using some other solution which is
quite lenghty but easy way!

I have two machines, one running WintNT and other running Linux. User read
mail from linux coz there worksations are not fixed (they won't get the pc
next time). On my WinNT machine i m using MDaemon (mdaemon.com), which
forwards the mail to Linux with out any loss of headers!

If you are willing to iinvest check out MDaemon, its kwel!
Ahmed

Post by Edward J Kalen » Sun, 22 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>I've got someone hosting my domain for me and all the mail for the
>domain is funneled into a single account at that ISP.  I've got
>fetchmail popping the mail off and then passing it along to procmail,
>which then forwards it to sendmail to put in each individuals mailbox
>here locally.

>1. Can this be done more simplistically?  (I'm using 3 different
>programs just to get the mail sorted!)  I tried just having procmail
>place the mail directly in the user's mailbox, but my imap clients
>couldn't see the new msg's. I could 'cat' the /var/spool/mail/mailbox
>file and see the new msg's there though.

>2. From the research I've done in the FAQ's and the WWW I guess the
>'mail envelope' is lost when you pop the mail.  The problem then
>arises with mailing lists which list the To: field as 'multiple
>recipients of mailing list XYZ'.  How can I get these into the proper
>mailbox????  I see one of the received lines has for

>to have to be pretty complex to pull this out and likely prone to
>error.

>Any suggestions?  Should I ask the ISP to just queue the mail from me
>and I pull it in via sendmail via ETRN?  I saw something like that
>mentioned in my research, but I don't quite understand it.  My domain
>actually is located on another machine and the local machine is not
>visible to the rest of the world.  (IE., no assigned IP, nor domain.)

>Mark Moran

>http://mmoran.com/tm.htm

I use Best Internet Communications as an ISP and they add the envelope
RCPT-TO field as a header to every email addressed to my virtual
domain. Fetchmail then uses that header to recreated the envelope
RCTP-TO field when remailing. No procmail since my local sendmail
handles the SMTP connection from fetchmail (running as root).
---------------------------
Ed

Post by Duncan Simps » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>>I've got someone hosting my domain for me and all the mail for the
>>domain is funneled into a single account at that ISP.  I've got
>>fetchmail popping the mail off and then passing it along to procmail,
>>which then forwards it to sendmail to put in each individuals mailbox
>>here locally.

>>1. Can this be done more simplistically?  (I'm using 3 different
>>programs just to get the mail sorted!)  I tried just having procmail
>>place the mail directly in the user's mailbox, but my imap clients
>>couldn't see the new msg's. I could 'cat' the /var/spool/mail/mailbox
>>file and see the new msg's there though.

>>2. From the research I've done in the FAQ's and the WWW I guess the
>>'mail envelope' is lost when you pop the mail.  The problem then
>>arises with mailing lists which list the To: field as 'multiple
>>recipients of mailing list XYZ'.  How can I get these into the proper
>>mailbox????  I see one of the received lines has for

>>to have to be pretty complex to pull this out and likely prone to
>>error.

Virtual domains do lose the SMTP envel;ope recipient: the technology
works by reqriting this information in one of the ruleswta, usually
ruleser 98 (called by ruleset 0, which does the delivery). Use sendmail
in arpanet mode and this is no longer a problem.

Duncan (-: