X server on win98 - now what

Post by Mark Worsdal » Fri, 25 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi

Xcuse my ignorance, I have installed X on my linux box (10.0.1.254) and
an X server on my win98 box (10.0.1.250).

On 10.0.1.250 it just sits there with a blank blue screen. I was
expecting it to ask me to configure it so that 10.0.1.250 would connect
to 10.0.1.254's X server and use all the applications over my network.

That is to say:-

On my win98 machine I expected to connect to the linux's X server and
run the applications on the linux box from the win98 box.

Am I wrong in my thoughts?
--
Work:- postmasterAThinwick.demon.co.uk  WEB:- http://www.hinwick.demon.co.uk

Home:- hinwickATworsdall.demon.co.uk    WEB:- http://www.worsdall.demon.co.uk
SiteSight:- sitsightATshadow.org.uk     WEB:- http://www.shadow.org.uk/SiteSight
Shadow:- webmasterATshadow.org.uk       WEB:- http://www.shadow.org.uk

X server on win98 - now what

Post by Kevin Mart » Fri, 25 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>Xcuse my ignorance, I have installed X on my linux box (10.0.1.254) and
>an X server on my win98 box (10.0.1.250).

>On 10.0.1.250 it just sits there with a blank blue screen. I was
>expecting it to ask me to configure it so that 10.0.1.250 would connect
>to 10.0.1.254's X server and use all the applications over my network.

Nope. Let's say the linux box is linus and the Win98 box is lucifer.
(You can define these in /etc/hosts so you refer to them by name rather than
IP address -- much more convenient.)

What you need to do first in some session is to run the command:

# export DISPLAY=lucifer:0

You can do this on linus in a virtual console (alt-F2 and open a new
command-line window) or you can telnet from lucifer to linus and do it in
the telnet window.  Obviously if the boxes are separated by a great distance
you would use telnet.

Now launch an X application from the same telnet session.  An xterm would be
a good choice.  Be sure to run it "detached" from the telnet session by
appending an ampersand:

# xterm &

Because you've set the DISPLAY to point back to the Win98 box, the xterm
should open in that big blue window.  Now you can use that xterm
window to launch anything else that you want, such as xclock or kmahjongg.

Give it a try.

--
Kevin Martin                   No-spam zone.
<brasscannon            No prisoners. No warning shots.

X server on win98 - now what

Post by Pule » Sun, 27 Dec 1998 04:00:00

this is great! I've been looking for this for a while.
There's just a small prob: the small fonts arent readable. (I use Mix server
5.6)
have you got any ideas how to fix this?

X server on win98 - now what

Post by Mark Worsdal » Sun, 27 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>Because you've set the DISPLAY to point back to the Win98 box, the xterm
>should open in that big blue window.  Now you can use that xterm
>window to launch anything else that you want, such as xclock or kmahjongg.

>Give it a try.

I did and :-)

So know I do not have to move this fat body into the spare bedroom to do
things on Linux since I can do it all from win98, will I be able to do
the same with machine freeBSD once setup?

I launched netscape & it works although it is complaining about fonts.
So where in netscape does one set it to access the net through win98
(10.0.1.250)?

Thanks for getting me this far:-)

--
Mark Worsdall - Oh no, I've run out of underpants :(

TCP/IP gatewaying http://www.hinwick.demon.co.uk/computerDept/

X server on win98 - now what

Post by Kevin Mart » Sun, 27 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>>Because you've set the DISPLAY to point back to the Win98 box, the xterm
>>should open in that big blue window.  Now you can use that xterm
>>window to launch anything else that you want, such as xclock or kmahjongg.

>>Give it a try.

>I did and :-)

>So know I do not have to move this fat body into the spare bedroom to do
>things on Linux since I can do it all from win98, will I be able to do
>the same with machine freeBSD once setup?

Yes.  That's the whole point, really -- X is supposed to make the OS
irrelevant.  Telnet in, tell it where to send the display, enjoy.

Is freeBSD replacing the Windows box?   I'm assuming the modem is on the
Linux box and the Win98 box is just a cheap X terminal.   If I've reversed
their roles, please take what follows with a grain of salt.

Quote:>I launched netscape & it works although it is complaining about fonts.

I can believe that -- the X version of Netscape is not likely to be
optimized for a lowest-common-denominator Windows X server.  In short,
running Netscape on the Linux box so you can view it under X on a
Win98 box is nuts, if you'll excuse my frankness.  You can just as easily
use IP masquerade to push packets through the ethernet and run the Windows
version on the Windows box, using the Linux box to provide a "direct
connection" to the Internet.  (No Windows Dial-Up Networking required.)
That way you get to use Windows fonts and features, such as they are, but
you still eliminate a layer of Microsoftian nonsense and get a smidgen of
Linux's stability in your connection.   Better to push packets over your
Ethernet than entire formatted screens, IMHO.

Quote:>So where in netscape does one set it to access the net through win98
>(10.0.1.250)?

IP masquerade = Direct connection to the Internet = NO PROXIES.  You'd put
the address of the Linux box (which has the modem) in Control Panel /
Networking / Ethernet card bound to TCP/IP / Gateway, and from then on all
your Internet apps on the Win98 box should "see" the Internet directly.
They don't know or care that there's a Linux box between you and your ISP.
See my Linux IP masq page, http://www.nic.com/~cannon/Linux/  for info on IP
masquerade and ppp dial-on-demand.  It's gotten good reviews.

Quote:>Thanks for getting me this far:-)

Hey, nice to hear it worked.  Makes me feel like I'm not just a grumpy old
man who spends all his time yelling at spammers. :-)

--
Kevin Martin                   No-spam zone.
<brasscannon            No prisoners. No warning shots.

X server on win98 - now what

Post by Mark Worsdal » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Yes.  That's the whole point, really -- X is supposed to make the OS
>irrelevant.  Telnet in, tell it where to send the display, enjoy.

>Is freeBSD replacing the Windows box?

Yes, but only when I get my new windows box, a dogs bollocks beauty:-)

Quote:>I'm assuming the modem is on the
>Linux box and the Win98 box is just a cheap X terminal.   If I've reversed
>their roles, please take what follows with a grain of salt.

Nope, the dial up connection is through the win98 box and will remain so
for the foreseeable future, that being till the FreeBSD box is up and
running then that will go and get all my mail/news etc., and then my
win98 box will use its current software (Turnpike) to get mail & news of
the FreeBSD box.

So in my living room for me and friends I will have win98 box, in my
spare bedroom I will have Linux and FreeBSD boxes.

FreeBSD --> Internet

Win98

Linux

Quote:

>>I launched netscape & it works although it is complaining about fonts.

>I can believe that -- the X version of Netscape is not likely to be
>optimized for a lowest-common-denominator Windows X server.  In short,
>running Netscape on the Linux box so you can view it under X on a
>Win98 box is nuts, if you'll excuse my frankness.

I am nuts, and my 2nd creed is:-
"if they have made it possible, then try it, if not ask them to make it
possible"

The first is my signature:-)

M.
--

Post by Joe Ring » Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>>Because you've set the DISPLAY to point back to the Win98 box, the xterm
>>should open in that big blue window.  Now you can use that xterm
>>window to launch anything else that you want, such as xclock or kmahjongg.

>>Give it a try.

>I did and :-)

>So know I do not have to move this fat body into the spare bedroom to do
>things on Linux since I can do it all from win98, will I be able to do
>the same with machine freeBSD once setup?

>I launched netscape & it works although it is complaining about fonts.
>So where in netscape does one set it to access the net through win98
>(10.0.1.250)?

You can use (convert) X fonts for use with the Mix X server. I think you
just copy the desired font into a mix subdirectory on your Win box and edit
a file (font.dir?). Sorry for the lame description but I don't have access
to my Win box right now, there is a faq or howto at the mix site describing
the process.

--
clear skies,                |http://www.erols.com/jringer3/astro1.htm
Joe                         |
                            |The internet treats censorship like
                            |damage and routes around it.

1. PopTop VPN Server can see Win98 client but client can't see server

My friend and I are trying to setup a VPN using a Slackware 7.1 Linux
machine running PoPToP
as the VPN server and we are trying to connect to it with a Windows 98
machine using dial-up networking
as its internet connection.  The Win98 client can connect with no
errors to the server
and the server can see and ping the client, but the client cannot see
or do anything to the
server or any of the machines behind it.  Has anyone had this problem?
 I believe that it
has something to do with the VPN setup on the Win98 client...We are
using Win98 SE so the VPNUPD.exe
does not work with it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Can't get Kelvin 64 PCI to work with X

3. The best way of sharing data between a win98 server and linux server!

4. Linux 2.4.2ac1

5. Win98 can ping Linux, but Linux can't ping Win98 box

6. how to solve the momery leak in AIX

7. SOLUTION: Linux & Win98 ping each other (PnP issues on Win98)

8. Any security issues in ISC DHCPD v2?

9. Newbie Dual boot Linux & Win98, forgot to include Win98

10. Linux and Win98 in LAN, Win98 boxes can't see each other

11. installing Debian over win98 in dual boot system (win98 and win2k)

12. sending print jobs to win98 printer from lpd crashes win98 box

13. Slow Network Linux->Win98=Slow Win98->Linux=Fast