Q: Local Nameserver

Post by David Lieberma » Tue, 10 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Hi,
I'm trying to run just for fun a local nameserver.
I've configured the configuration files of named using the
examples in the HOWTO's and in the book "LINUX, network administrators guide".
As long as I'm connected to the internet via ppp it works fine.
Just when I'm trying to run it local (without Internet connection)
I get in the syslog-file: named[217]: No root nameservers for class IN
My question is now, is there a way to avoid the root nameservers in the NET,
if "yes" how?

Greetings,

Angel Orille-Franz

Q: Local Nameserver

Post by David C. Pral » Tue, 10 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>Hi,
>I'm trying to run just for fun a local nameserver.
>I've configured the configuration files of named using the
>examples in the HOWTO's and in the book "LINUX, network administrators guide".
>As long as I'm connected to the internet via ppp it works fine.
>Just when I'm trying to run it local (without Internet connection)
>I get in the syslog-file: named[217]: No root nameservers for class IN
>My question is now, is there a way to avoid the root nameservers in the NET,
>if "yes" how?

I'd recommend picking up the O'Reilly book DNS and Bind. It discusses
setting up your own local root name-server

--

"Hickory*ory dock my daddy's nuts from shellshock. Humpty dumpty
 thought he was wise till gas came along and burned out his eyes. A

1. Local nameserver messes up SLIP connection

I have two computers hooked up over a 10Base-2 network with one running named
for the two. (Don't ask why) Anyway whenever I use my slip account it goes to
my other machine on the network for IPs when telneting and using netscape.
I've set the gateway address to hte remote nameserver but that isn't working.
Any ideas?

Paul

-----------------

/\_\/_/ College of Computer Science - Northeastern University
\/_/\_\ Home Page: http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/paulg
   \/_/ "Smile," they said, "it could be worse!" So I did, and it was.

2. Sorry: I had to try it!

3. How add my domain to local nameserver?

4. Booting Alpha XL300 without a Keyboard

5. how to setup a local nameserver

6. Sony Multiscan 17sf XF86Config Info

7. How add my domain to local nameserver?

8. SCO Open Desktop install problem

9. nameserver does not work local

10. dhcp isp and local nameserver

11. nslookup stalls on local nameserver

12. ipchains - local nameserver

13. Can one get wrt54g router to work as nameserver for local network?I