Ethernet & PPP together

Post by Albert Cahal » Sun, 22 Oct 1995 04:00:00

It seems that Ethernet is incompatible with PPP.  That can't be right,
because lots of people would complain, but it sure seems that way.
As soon as I added Ethernet (and a static PPP address) my PPP connection
stopped working.

What should the output of route -n (and other programs) be when
I have these addresses:

local  PPP address 198.115.180.39 (registered and all)
remote PPP address 192.233.85.139 (may vary)
Ethernet address   192.168.0.18   (not registered, from rfc1597)
--

Albert Cahalan

Ethernet & PPP together

Post by Winfried Heitma » Tue, 24 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>It seems that Ethernet is incompatible with PPP.  That can't be right,
>because lots of people would complain, but it sure seems that way.
>As soon as I added Ethernet (and a static PPP address) my PPP connection
>stopped working.
>What should the output of route -n (and other programs) be when
>I have these addresses:
>local  PPP address 198.115.180.39 (registered and all)
>remote PPP address 192.233.85.139 (may vary)
>Ethernet address   192.168.0.18   (not registered, from rfc1597)

Yeah, I have the same problem the other way round:
I run ethernet on a local net and then start ppp with defaultroute.
I have to shut down eth0 and to restart X so that I can get xterms
from remote hosts.
Does it have to do something with hosts.conf, hosts.resolv or host.aliases?
I didn't find info for these.

Thanx in advance
  Winfried
--

Winfried Heitmann         |  voice: +49 212 470-3590
II. Department of Physics |    fax: +49 212 470-2980

50937 K"oln               |   http://www.rrz.uni-koeln.de/math-nat-fak/ph2/n/grni.html
Germany                   |

Ethernet & PPP together

Post by Chris Knig » Thu, 09 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:(Robert Hart) writes:

:>I am dialled into my ppp server from my home Linux machine, and this is
:>the routing table I have at home (ie on the client side).
:>
:>My local machine has it's ethernet (eth0) pointing to my home network
:>number.
:>
:>ppp0 has TWO entries - first a HOST (the H flag) entry pointing at the
:>ppp server on campus and second a GATEWAY (the G flag) which sets a
:>default route for all packets NOT destined for the local ethernet to the
:>PPP server.

Wow.  Okay, now can I get that to work with a dynamic IP address from my
ISP?  (Actually, can they even adjust their routing tables if I have a
dynamic IP?  Do I _need_ them to adjust their tables [with this type of
setup I believe yes]).

1. NEWBIE: Need Help Getting PPP & Ethernet to work together

I am attempting to get my ethernet and ppp to work in conjunction but
I am having difficulty.  Essentially I would like to dial up to an
internet provider with ppp(using dip) and once connected have 1-2
other computers in the room connected to the ppp(linux box) via
ethernet so they can also access the internet.  I can connect
successfully to the internet provider but the only sites I can access
are my own ip and the internet providers, I can not go anywhere else.
Yet when I disconnect my ethernet card and run dip again I can connect
anywhere, obviously the ethernet is not working correctly with my ppp
line.  Any ideas why this is so?

to my dilemma I would appreciate it.  Btw, yes I have looked through
Olaf Kirch's networking guide as well as the Net-2 HOWTO and I can't
figure out how to set up my system.  If anyone has a system like this
and can tell me how to set it up I would appreciate it.  Thanks.

2. Problem with STB Trio64 board!

3. ppp and ethernet TOGETHER???

4. KPM Segmentation Fault

5. dynamic PPP and ethernet together

6. Remote printing problem

8. rpc.rstatd daemon looping in inetd.com and terminating. cannot "rup". same for rusersd.

9. LocalNet & PPP : Together

10. 10BaseT && Coax to link 3 linux machines together???

11. LILO && NCR53C810 don't work together

12. Routing between ppp & Ethernet Interfaces