3c905-tx-m and linux red hat 6.2 problems (collisions and no 100 full duplex)

3c905-tx-m and linux red hat 6.2 problems (collisions and no 100 full duplex)

Post by cand » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 16:40:02

I have a workstation  with red hat 6.2 and 3c905-tx-m ethernet card (3C59x
driver) connected to a switch.
Both of them are capable of using autonegotiation, but however It doesn't
work fine.

I can't get 100 Mps full duplex and besides  there are too many collisions.
What can i do to solve the problem?

Update linux kernel, update driver, modify driver kernel ...

3c905-tx-m and linux red hat 6.2 problems (collisions and no 100 full duplex)

Post by A.C. 'Static' Stad » Thu, 26 Apr 2001 13:31:54

Quote:> I have a workstation  with red hat 6.2 and 3c905-tx-m ethernet card (3C59x
> driver) connected to a switch.
> Both of them are capable of using autonegotiation, but however It doesn't
> work fine.

> I can't get 100 Mps full duplex and besides  there are too many
collisions.
> What can i do to solve the problem?

> Update linux kernel, update driver, modify driver kernel ...

This is way outside my field of expertiese. The last time I checked, the
only time you can enable full duplex is if everything in your network and
support full duplex.  I had an older 3C509 card, and a vortex card (can't
remember the card number), in both cases, the number of collisions/errors
almost disappeared when I disables full duplex mode, and the throughput
almost doubled, don't know why, but it worked for me.

3c905-tx-m and linux red hat 6.2 problems (collisions and no 100 full duplex)

Post by Matthew Darc » Sat, 28 Apr 2001 01:02:43

I am trying to get the 905c to work is this the same as your card ?

> > I have a workstation  with red hat 6.2 and 3c905-tx-m ethernet card
(3C59x
> > driver) connected to a switch.
> > Both of them are capable of using autonegotiation, but however It
doesn't
> > work fine.

> > I can't get 100 Mps full duplex and besides  there are too many
> collisions.
> > What can i do to solve the problem?

> > Update linux kernel, update driver, modify driver kernel ...

> This is way outside my field of expertiese. The last time I checked, the
> only time you can enable full duplex is if everything in your network and
> support full duplex.  I had an older 3C509 card, and a vortex card (can't
> remember the card number), in both cases, the number of collisions/errors
> almost disappeared when I disables full duplex mode, and the throughput
> almost doubled, don't know why, but it worked for me.

3c905-tx-m and linux red hat 6.2 problems (collisions and no 100 full duplex)

Post by Jonadab the Unsightly O » Mon, 07 May 2001 07:00:17

Quote:> This is way outside my field of expertiese. The last time I checked, the
> only time you can enable full duplex is if everything in your network and
> support full duplex.

If your hub is sufficiently intelligent, some devices can use
full duplex while others use half duplex.  Hubs smart enough
to do this usually also allow some nodes to use 10BaseT while
others use 100BaseT, and they typically have indicator lights
for speed and duplex as well as link and traffic.  (Some of
these may be indicated by colour or blinking, of course.)
Hubs that do this often also perform switching (sending
packets only to the nodes for which they are designated).
Basically, we're talking about quality network hardware.
If your hub is just a dumb broadcast repeater with several
ports, then everything connected to it has to speak the
same protocol, naturally.

As far as the original poster's question, I really don't
know what would prevent a LAN segment from using full
duplex if all the hardware supports it.  DOES all the
hardware support it?  And do all the NICs support the
automagic negotiation?  Are your cables all category 5?

Lots of collisions?  How many is a lot?  How big is
the network, and how much traffic does it see?

You said you can't get 100BaseT full duplex.  Can you
get 100BaseT at all?

- jonadab