Can't ping out with Linksys nc100 w/tulip driver

Can't ping out with Linksys nc100 w/tulip driver

Post by Robert Joos » Fri, 10 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hello,
I'm trying to set up a linux network with kernel-2.2.12 (SuSE).
I have 3 PC's:
pc1-
ip 192.168.1.2 eth0 gateway 192.168.1.100
uses LinkSys nc100 with tulip driver(i think this is part of the
problem, which i'll go into later)
pc2-
ip 192.168.1.3 eth0 gateway 192.168.1.100
uses LinkSys nc100 with tulop driver
pc3-
ip 192.168.1.100 eth0 no gateway because this is the gateway for the
intranet
uses LinkSys nc100 with tulip driver
ip (static) 208.145.xxx.xxx eth1 gateway 208.145.xxx.xxx
uses 3C900B-TPO

eth1 on pc3 is connected with crossover cable to a cisco675
modem/router(which is set to bridging mode for a permanent static ip
connection
I am able to access WWW through this interface.

Problem:
pc1 and pc2 cannot ping each other and pc3 cannot ping them either or be
pinged from pc1 and pc2

route on pc1 and pc2 yields nothing, it just hangs:
Destination Gateway genmask flags metric ref use Iface

The pings just hang as well...

pc1 and pc2 CAN ping: localhost, their assigned ip's(192.168.x.x, as per
above), and broadcast(192.168.1.255)

Architecture:
pc1 and pc2 are connected to a basic hub with straight ethernet cables
pc3's eth0 is also connected to this hub.
pc3's eth1 is connected to the cisco as per above and it works

Later, I will setup ipchains and NAT, but for now, since I am able to
connect the net from pc3 on eth1, I want first to set up the internal
LAN, I am thinking that, since all the pc's are connected to the hub,
that this should work:
On all the pc's, I did:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.x(where x is the pc number....) netmask
255.255.255.0 up
route add -net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0
route add default gw 192.168.1.100

On pc3, when I run the route command, I get:
Destination        Gateway                 genmask   flags metric ref
use Iface
192.168.1.0              *
u        0       0    0   eth0
208.145.191.0          *
u        0        0    0   eth1
172.16.26.0              *
u         0       0    0  vmnet1
loopback                   *
u         0       0    0  lo
default               208.145.191.129    0.0.0.0          ug
0       0    0  eth1

Note:172.16.26.0 is just for vmware and isn't configured and I don't
think it is in the was..
so, pc3 is reading it's default gateway for eth1
I was thinking that maybe the problem has something to do with the tulip
driver I am using for the LinkSys cards. Originally, I had 2 linksys
cards in pc3 and could not get to the WWW, I put the 3com card in and it
worked.

When I compiled my kernels, I compiled them to support the
DECchip Tulip (dc21x4x) PCI(yes, there in PCI slots and PCI is supported
in my kernels)
I don't know about the DECchip part, though.
Well, it's not the datalink, this problem because the 3com card works on
all pc's
AND!!! I CAN GET ONTO THE net  in windows on any other pc with the
linksys card in it....
If this is a driver problem, can someone please help me.
Also, if I have the right driver, are there options I must give??
IF there are other problems, please let me know.

THANKS,

Can't ping out with Linksys nc100 w/tulip driver

Post by Bob » Fri, 10 Dec 1999 04:00:00

The PCI slot must be a bus mastering one. You may switch NIC to different
PCI slot to see if it works.

> [...]

> driver I am using for the LinkSys cards. Originally, I had 2 linksys
> cards in pc3 and could not get to the WWW, I put the 3com card in and it
> worked.

> When I compiled my kernels, I compiled them to support the
> DECchip Tulip (dc21x4x) PCI(yes, there in PCI slots and PCI is supported
> in my kernels)
> I don't know about the DECchip part, though.
> Well, it's not the datalink, this problem because the 3com card works on
> all pc's
> AND!!! I CAN GET ONTO THE net  in windows on any other pc with the
> linksys card in it....
> If this is a driver problem, can someone please help me.
> Also, if I have the right driver, are there options I must give??
> IF there are other problems, please let me know.

> THANKS,

Can't ping out with Linksys nc100 w/tulip driver

Post by dark » Sat, 11 Dec 1999 04:00:00

hi, bob,
i checked it out and it wasn't a bus mastering problem..
i was able to ping localhost, broadcast, the assigne ip for the card, and the
network, 192.168.1.0, but nothing else...
i solved the problem...
the linksys nc100 Fast Ethernet card was just not initializing...i got it down
to that...the clincher is that it initializes just fine on my other machines,
but on the hp133 which i am setting up as  the firewall machine, and which has
2 cards in it.., it was not...the other card in it, eth1, is a 3com and it
works fine...i was able to www with it no problem..just for kicks, i put in
another card that uses the SAME tulip driver, a netgear, rebooted, and was
able to ping the other machines on my intranet and be pinged!!...something
about the bios and the linksys card on that hp133...not a plugnplay, deal, not
a bus mastering deal..i don't know and don't have the time...but this is the
result..
thanks for your time....
darko.

> [...]

> > I was thinking that maybe the problem has something to do with the tulip
> > driver I am using for the LinkSys cards. Originally, I had 2 linksys
> > cards in pc3 and could not get to the WWW, I put the 3com card in and it
> > worked.

> > When I compiled my kernels, I compiled them to support the
> > DECchip Tulip (dc21x4x) PCI(yes, there in PCI slots and PCI is supported
> > in my kernels)
> > I don't know about the DECchip part, though.
> > Well, it's not the datalink, this problem because the 3com card works on
> > all pc's
> > AND!!! I CAN GET ONTO THE net  in windows on any other pc with the
> > linksys card in it....
> > If this is a driver problem, can someone please help me.
> > Also, if I have the right driver, are there options I must give??
> > IF there are other problems, please let me know.

1. Invalid option '-WStrict-prototypes' while compiling tulip.c driver for Linksys LNE100TX

hi,
i have just installed a Linux OS(Custom type installation)

1)During the the Network configuration process in the installation ,i
had selected Digital 21040(Tulip) as the driver for the the Network
Interface Card of type LINKSYS(LNE 100TX)

2)After the installation ,i was not able to access the network..So i
assumed the driver selectd by me must be wrong.I got the driver for
LINKSYS(LNE 100TX) from Linksys support page as tulip.c
(ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/tulip.c)

3)i copied this tulip.c in a notepad in a windows environment from the
web and converted it to the linux format using DOS2UNIX program

4)copied this file to a new directory in linux  by mounting the floppy

5)Compiled the program by using:
gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__
-I/usr/src/linux/net/inet
-Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c tulip.c
`[ -f /usr/include/linux/modversions.h ]
&& echo -DMODVERSIONS`

6)it gave the error:
 tulip.c:162 :pci-scan:No such file or directory
 tulip.c:163:kern_compat.h:No such file or directory

7)i copied the above files from the internet into a notepad  and
coverted into dos2unix program and copied to same directory in linux
where i was trying to compile the driver program

8)Again tried to compile using:
gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__
-I/usr/src/linux/net/inet
-Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c tulip.c
`[ -f /usr/include/linux/modversions.h ]
&& echo -DMODVERSIONS`

9)Gave me the error
cc1:Invalid option '-WStrict-prototypes'

10)if i remove -WStrict-prototypes options, i get the output
tulip.o..is it ok if i remove that option?

Am i doing something wrong?Can some one help me out...

Ann

2. 2.5.65 ipv6 TCP checksum errors (capture attached)

3. Tulip driver/Compile Network Everywhere NIC NC100

4. HELP with sound (ALS200)

5. LinkSys NC100 driver

6. Hardware experience

7. Installing driver for Linksys NC100 V2.0 on RedHat 6.2

8. Wrong System.map file works anyway. Why?

9. 'ping -f' causes Tulip to hang (kernel 2.2.5)

10. RedHat 7.1 upgrade broke tulip driver for Linksys

11. Problem compiling tulip.c driver for Linksys LNE100TX ethernet card

12. Linksys cardbus 10/100 (21143) with tulip driver hangs system

13. Problem: Linksys Fast 10/100 with tulip.c v90 driver