network doesn't start at bootup

Post by Daniel Schaerl » Fri, 27 Dec 2002 22:23:42

hi,

i'm running suse 7.3. my system boots ok. no errors, no problems, init 3
gets reacheaed. ifconfig shows the local loopback but no nic (eepro 10/100).
if I start the nic manually (ifconfig eth0 up) and restart the network
(rcnetwork restart) the network works fine. any hints?

daniel

Post by Erik Ljungstr? » Sat, 28 Dec 2002 04:41:53

> hi,

> i'm running suse 7.3. my system boots ok. no errors, no problems, init 3
> gets reacheaed. ifconfig shows the local loopback but no nic (eepro 10/100).
> if I start the nic manually (ifconfig eth0 up) and restart the network
> (rcnetwork restart) the network works fine. any hints?

> daniel

Put it in your startup scripts, I'm sure there is some graphical
tool which helps you with this in SuSe, if not, place those rows in
/etc/rc.d/rc.local (if that file exists that is)

And pleeease, stop cross posting. This is very annoying, what if
I discover someone gave you the exact same answer in any of the
other newsgroups you posted to, then the time I've spent helping you,
would be in vain.

Good luck!

--

        -> ipv4: http://www.northernmost.org
        -> ipv6: http://freebsd.northernmost.org

Post by David Efflan » Sat, 28 Dec 2002 09:28:06

> hi,

> i'm running suse 7.3. my system boots ok. no errors, no problems, init 3
> gets reacheaed. ifconfig shows the local loopback but no nic (eepro 10/100).
> if I start the nic manually (ifconfig eth0 up) and restart the network
> (rcnetwork restart) the network works fine. any hints?

Maybe a silly question, but did you configure and activate eth0 in YaST2
(Network/Basic/Network card conf)?

Post by Tolga Ceyl » Sat, 28 Dec 2002 14:21:29

> > hi,

> > i'm running suse 7.3. my system boots ok. no errors, no problems, init 3
> > gets reacheaed. ifconfig shows the local loopback but no nic (eepro 10/100).
> > if I start the nic manually (ifconfig eth0 up) and restart the network
> > (rcnetwork restart) the network works fine. any hints?

> > daniel

> Put it in your startup scripts, I'm sure there is some graphical
> tool which helps you with this in SuSe, if not, place those rows in
> /etc/rc.d/rc.local (if that file exists that is)

> And pleeease, stop cross posting. This is very annoying, what if
> I discover someone gave you the exact same answer in any of the
> other newsgroups you posted to, then the time I've spent helping you,
> would be in vain.

> Good luck!

Is there a module alias for eth in /etc/modules.conf? Is there any
warning/error messages about "failure to load eepro100 module" at startup?

This sounds like it can't load the module at boot. At the time after
the boot when there's no eth, is eepro100 among the loaded modules? (lsmod?)

Tolga Ceylan

Post by Erik Ljungstr? » Sat, 28 Dec 2002 15:57:25

> Is there a module alias for eth in /etc/modules.conf? Is there any
> warning/error messages about "failure to load eepro100 module" at startup?

> This sounds like it can't load the module at boot. At the time after
> the boot when there's no eth, is eepro100 among the loaded modules? (lsmod?)

> Tolga Ceylan

And exactly what does that have to do with me? ;-)
Trim your posts, and post to the right person.

--

        -> ipv4: http://www.northernmost.org
        -> ipv6: http://freebsd.northernmost.org
        -> Norrk?ping, Sweden

network doesn't start at bootup

Post by Daniel Schaerl » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 02:11:21

sure i did. i tried also to configure and activate it with yast1. it's just
not comming on boot time.

--

> > hi,

> > i'm running suse 7.3. my system boots ok. no errors, no problems, init 3
> > gets reacheaed. ifconfig shows the local loopback but no nic (eepro
10/100).
> > if I start the nic manually (ifconfig eth0 up) and restart the network
> > (rcnetwork restart) the network works fine. any hints?

> Maybe a silly question, but did you configure and activate eth0 in YaST2
> (Network/Basic/Network card conf)?

> --
> David Efflandt - All spam ignored  http://www.de-srv.com/
> http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/
> http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/  http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/

network doesn't start at bootup

Post by M. Swop » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 04:46:21

Depending on the platform that I install Linux on, I sometimes
have to alter the rc.inet scripts to start the network *after* the
card is initialized.

Have you watched the boot sequence to see if your card is
getting inited before the network script(s) run?  Also, check
dmesg...

Mark

Post by Clive Dov » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 04:53:41

> sure i did. i tried also to configure and activate it with yast1. it's
> just not comming on boot time.

> --

>> > hi,

>> > i'm running suse 7.3. my system boots ok. no errors, no problems,
>> > init 3 gets reacheaed. ifconfig shows the local loopback but no nic
>> > (eepro
> 10/100).
>> > if I start the nic manually (ifconfig eth0 up) and restart the
>> > network (rcnetwork restart) the network works fine. any hints?

>> Maybe a silly question, but did you configure and activate eth0 in
>> YaST2 (Network/Basic/Network card conf)?

>> --
>> David Efflandt - All spam ignored  http://www.de-srv.com/
>> http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/
>> http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/
>> http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/

Check to see if file /etc/modules.conf has this line:

alias eth0 eepro100

please post replies below the text to which you are replying.  That is
the usual way in linux and it makes it easier for everyone to follow
the thread.

1. syslogd doesn't always start on bootup

Why would syslogd sometimes not start when the system boots?  klogd always
starts, and it it should be started after syslogd in /etc/rc.d/init.d/syslog.
Here is a sample, syslogd did not start the last two times that I
powered up the system.  Then, I rebooted (shutdown -r now), and it's running.

I'm running kernel 1.2.13 and a very standard Red Hat 3.0.3 distribution.
I've made no change anywhere in the /etc/rc.d directory tree.

Thanks,

Dick

2. (no subject)

3. Network Card Won't Start on Bootup!!

4. Kernel Install Problems w/RAID Modules

5. : PLIP start up doesn't report problems but also doesn't work?

6. dd, blocksize, format and interleave

7. Loadlin boot doesn't start network

8. Parse error at null character!!

9. dhcpd in rc script doesn't start, but it does start by hand

10. NEC CD seen at bootup but doesn't mount

11. Weird problem : rc.inet1 does not start network on bootup

12. LPRng/slackware 3.3, lpd won't start properly on bootup...

13. Newbie can't start Apache at bootup