Printing to lpq from Win3.1???

Post by Jim Westbroo » Sun, 20 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I have a legacy Win3.1 system from which I would occasionally like to print to
my network printer.  I understand that Samba would permit this in the opposite
direction, so I figure there must be a way to have the Winbox print via network
linux print server.

Am I wrong about this?

JimW

Printing to lpq from Win3.1???

Post by sfcyb.. » Mon, 21 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a legacy Win3.1 system from which I would occasionally like to
print to
> my network printer.  I understand that Samba would permit this in the
opposite
> direction, so I figure there must be a way to have the Winbox print
via network
> linux print server.

> Am I wrong about this?

> JimW

No, you are correct.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Printing to lpq from Win3.1???

Post by Tim Bour » Wed, 23 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a legacy Win3.1 system from which I would occasionally like to print to
>my network printer.

Look for 'Setting up a raw SAMBA printer' in the Printing.txt file in
the Samba documentation.

FWIW, I can print from W31 to a NEC P7 printer over the network, with
the following added to /etc/printcap and smb.conf:

/etc/printcap:

p7-raw:\
        :rw:sh: \
        :lp=/dev/lp0: \
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/p7-raw: \
        :fx=flp: \
        :sf:

smb.conf:

[p7-raw]
   comment = P7 using WIN/DOS drivers
   path = /var/spool/lpd/p7-raw
   print command = lpr -b -P%p %s
   public = no
   writable = no
   printable = yes

HTH

1. print error when running 'lpq'

hey all...
i have an Epson Stylus 440 and i can't print from RH 6.1...
i've gone thru the control-panel and everything is defined
correctly... the name of the printer is lp and is set to
/dev/lp1...

so when i run 'lpq' i get this message:
[root ~]# lpq
Warning: lp is down: waiting for lp to become ready (offline ?)
no entries

when i try printing a page, 'lpr -Plp test.txt' the job goes
into the queue and i get this message:
[root ~]# lpr -Plp test.txt
lpr: connect: Connection refused
jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.

when i run 'lpc status', i get this:
[root ~]# lpc status
lp:
        queuing is enabled
        printing is disabled
        no entries
        no daemon present

and i don't know where to look. i've run the /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S60lpd
script and still the above output... what am i missing...

jgiles

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Where to find the expect package

3. printing - lpq looks strange (RH6.1)

4. how to view into .db files .. virtusertable for example ??

5. problems with lpstat or lpq when printing to remote BSD queues with AIX 3.1.5

6. SLS swap

7. Printing Problem: Lpq Error Message

8. What is bridge sound driver?

9. print error when 'lpq' is run...

10. Printing - lpr lpq etc etc

11. solaris lp and lpq for remote NT print queue

12. Long delay before printing under Win3.1 on Merge

13. Printing from Linux to Win3.11. How?