Measure the Accept Queueing Time!

Post by Benjamin Ch » Sat, 28 Jan 2006 04:31:59

  Hello! I am doing my research for the web server performance modeling.
  After the connection request from a client complete the TCP 3-way
handshake. It would become an open request and this open request will be
placed in the accept queue. At this point the new child socket is
created and pointed to by the open request. The connection is considered
to be established at this point.
  Each time the Web server process executes the "accept()" system call,
the first open request in the accept queue is removed and the socket
which is pointed to by this open request is returned.
  All I want is to measure the amount of time when a open request is in
the accept queue. I've tracked the source code of the Linux kernel. I
may know the flow but still not sure my direction is correct or not. I
write down what I found as follows. If there is anything wrong, please
tell me! Thank you very mush

1. The struct "sock" in "sock.h" has a parameter call "ack_backlog".
This parameter counts how many open request in the accept queue.

2. The struct "tcp_opt" in "sock.h" has two parameters call
"accept_queque" and "accept_queue_tail".These two parameter actually
point to the exact accept queue.

3. The struct "open_request" in "tcp.h" exactly represents the open
request which I've mention above.

4. After a connection request from a client complete the TCP 3-way
handshake, the listen socket would call the function "tcp_acceptq_queue"
in "tcp.h". This function puts new open request (i.e. the struct
"open_request") into accept queue (i.e. struct "accept_queue" in "tcp_opt").

5. Each time the Web server process executes the accept() system call,
the function "tcp_accept" in "tcp.c" would be called. This function
removes the first open request in the accept queue and return the socket
which is pointed to by the open request.

  Is there anything wrong with what I describe above? Or there is any
reference regarding this matter? Please tell me! Thank you very much!

1. Need a way to measure how many time a process spend in "ready queue"

Hi to all!

I have a question for gurus.

For a benchmarking project (about the behaviour of Linux kernel scheduler) I
need a way to measure the amount of time a process spend in "ready queue",
during his life.

For "ready queue" I mean the queue of processes ready to run, but actually
without any CPU free for runnning them.

Any hint will be very appreciated.

Leandro Gelasi

Leandro Gelasi
IV year Computer Science Engeneering at Siena University

Gilles Villeneuve will live forever

2. internet slowing at start

3. How can I measure CPU-time and Network traffic time ?

4. backup with HP 1536 freezes system

5. how to find time spent in ready queue and wait queue ?

6. xfree86 4.0

7. Wierd listen/connect: accept queue never fills up

8. Adaptec AHA-39160 SCSI Card and Solaris 7....

9. ACCEPT() QUEUE BUG WITH SOCK_STREAM

10. Accept listen queue bug... anyone?

11. Linux TCP/IP Accept Queue

12. Pull out your tools, it is time to measure!

13. Measuring time bet. instructions on IRIS