Does ICQ and Yahoo Chess work with IP Masq?

Does ICQ and Yahoo Chess work with IP Masq?

Post by Jame » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I am thinking of using IP Masquerading on My linux box and
Accessing the internet via dial up. I Use Both 95 and NT
as well as Linux on my home LAN. Basically I would like to
know if it is posible to run the chess games on yahoo and ICQ
on the NT and  95 Boxes if I set up Linux with IP Masq and use
that to  dial up the Net.

If it is posible How hard was it . Any pointers would be helpful.
I have found the IP Masq website and read the stuff there.
But it does not say much about ICQ or Yahoo games and
other Java stuff. As I understand it. the Java Games Applets
May not be able to work unless I know the port and Protocol
it is using. Any one know what they are.
And how to get it through the IP Masq system. ?

please reply to here or my email below

real email address. Thanks.

Does ICQ and Yahoo Chess work with IP Masq?

Post by Manthey, Tobi » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00

It should. If you enable the specified ports or if you use masquerading as
default policy. The "advantage"
of masquerading over proxy is not beeing limited to specific ports.
Regards Tobias

*** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ***

Does ICQ and Yahoo Chess work with IP Masq?

Post by Ben Ginte » Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:00:00

James,

Go ahead and setup your masq box.  The Yahoo Chess (and the rest of the
Yahoo Java games and chat applets) will work just fine through the Linux
firewall.  You don't have to do anything tricky with ipfwadm.

When you access Yahoo Chess, for example, you download a Java applet
that then opens a socket to yog1.yahoo.com (or the appropriate server).
Since this socket was initiated inside the network, the Linux masq box
will let the packets come back from Yahoo reach your workstation.

ICQ also works but I don't use it much.

Ben

Quote:> I am thinking of using IP Masquerading on My linux box and
> Accessing the internet via dial up. I Use Both 95 and NT
> as well as Linux on my home LAN. Basically I would like to
> know if it is posible to run the chess games on yahoo and ICQ
> on the NT and  95 Boxes if I set up Linux with IP Masq and use
> that to  dial up the Net.

1. IP Masq (works) and ICQ (!@#$% doesn't work)

I have IP masquerading setup on my linux box.  Works great.

My problem is that I use ICQ on my NT box, and can't
chat with people, since ICQ can't make a direct connection.

I've tried setting up a SOCKS5 server on my Linux box,
(I got one from www.socks.nec.com and it compiled fine.)

When I try the built in ICQ firewall test with SOCKS5,
ICQ takes 5 min to report succes.

Has anyone used SOCKS5 with ICQ?

I've allso tried ICQ to use the default firewall
with TCP ports 2000-4000, which allows me to see when people are online,
but the chat still doesn't work.

Please email.

"Life's not too short, you've been dead for too long!"
   -- Anonymous

2. pico

3. IP Masq and ICQ Chat

4. terminal controls

5. ICQ in IP Masq / ipautofw problem

6. kmail and pgp - how

7. ICQ through IP Masq

8. Start X as root (was re: X only works for root)

9. IP Masq and ICQ (quick question)

10. ICQ and IP MASQ

11. ICQ problems with IP Masq Debian 2.2.15

12. IP MASQ and ICQ.

13. ICQ behind IP Masq w/firewall UDP port 4000 ???