lots of "failed to send the reply within the timeout period"

lots of "failed to send the reply within the timeout period"

Post by Dan Jacobso » Tue, 18 Dec 2001 07:45:24

Dear linux professionals, on my main ISP, often I get

"The remote host failed to send the reply within the timeout period"

error 503 messages in my web browser [proxy wwwoffle], same problem
with proxy off.

often this happens within a second of clicking on a link.

this happens on trying to browse many non super sites, home and
abroad.  when browsing the biggies, I get thru ok.  telnet site 80
works to all sites though.  On the other ISP all is well.

So, what can I adjust in linux, etc. to not have it timeout so fast,
given that I have a lifetime subscription to this ISP.
--
http://www.geocities.com/jidanni/ Tel+886-4-25854780

lots of "failed to send the reply within the timeout period"

Post by Dean Thompso » Tue, 18 Dec 2001 22:07:37

Hi!,

> Dear linux professionals, on my main ISP, often I get

> "The remote host failed to send the reply within the timeout period"

> error 503 messages in my web browser [proxy wwwoffle], same problem
> with proxy off.

> often this happens within a second of clicking on a link.

> this happens on trying to browse many non super sites, home and
> abroad.  when browsing the biggies, I get thru ok.  telnet site 80
> works to all sites though.  On the other ISP all is well.

> So, what can I adjust in linux, etc. to not have it timeout so fast,
> given that I have a lifetime subscription to this ISP.

From what I can tell, the 503 error is actually something that the server
generates rather than the client and hence the problem would be at a server
end.  It would seem to appear that for some magical reason your machines
request can't get through to the remote web server within a given period of
time.  The fact that this happens with and without the proxy on makes it even
more puzzling.

Is it possible that your machine has got ECN support enabled on it ?
If you try to disable ECN does that solve your problem ?

I can't be sure that it is a ECN fault, because normally a ECN fault wouldn't
return a 503 error.  Additionally, all the firewall rules on your system are
in place and are working okay.

See ya

Dean Thompson

lots of "failed to send the reply within the timeout period"

Post by Clifford Kit » Thu, 20 Dec 2001 02:30:05

Quote:> Dear linux professionals, on my main ISP, often I get

Actually this question is more appropriate for comp.os.linux.networking
than for the comp.protocols.ppp newsgroup.

Quote:> "The remote host failed to send the reply within the timeout period"
> error 503 messages in my web browser [proxy wwwoffle], same problem
> with proxy off.
> often this happens within a second of clicking on a link.
> this happens on trying to browse many non super sites, home and
> abroad.  when browsing the biggies, I get thru ok.  telnet site 80
> works to all sites though.  On the other ISP all is well.

You might try

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ecn

and if that works then put it in a /etc/rc.d file.

Quote:> So, what can I adjust in linux, etc. to not have it timeout so fast,
> given that I have a lifetime subscription to this ISP.

Whose lifetime?  Your lifetime or the ISP's?  (Remark prompted by
the recent demise of my ISP, for reasons unknown.)

--
Clifford Kite  <Email: Presently not available>
/* Editing with vi is a lot better than using a huge swiss army knife.

lots of "failed to send the reply within the timeout period"

Post by Dan Jacobso » Wed, 26 Dec 2001 08:12:08

http://tw.tv.yahoo.com/tv/search?tvprog=%BD%E2%BF%D2
is an example of a link that often times out for me.  What should I
adjust on my system to be able to read it consistently?
I cannot do
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ecn
on my
linux 2.2.17-21mdk Oct 5 13:16:08 CEST 2000 i586
system.
[The link is Chinese for "what time is the next showing of the spy who
shagged me"]
--

Post by Clifford Kit » Wed, 26 Dec 2001 14:09:07

> http://tw.tv.yahoo.com/tv/search?tvprog=%BD%E2%BF%D2
> is an example of a link that often times out for me.  What should I
> adjust on my system to be able to read it consistently?
> I cannot do
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ecn
> on my
> linux 2.2.17-21mdk Oct 5 13:16:08 CEST 2000 i586
> system.

Okay, then ECN wasn't available for the 2.2.x series, or at least that
particular kernel source, and shouldn't be the problem.

I just tried to go to that site several times using Netscape and only
succeeded twice (although I didn't understand it).  The other attempts
resulted in the messages

  The document contained no data.
  Try again later, or contact the server's administrator.

I haven't a clue what is happening or why.

Quote:> [The link is Chinese for "what time is the next showing of the spy who
> shagged me"]

Ah, I'll have to take your word on that.  This is a sample of what I saw
on the page when it did come up:

?a????????????a????

--
Clifford Kite  <Email: Presently not available>
/* For every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill.

1. "NO RESPONSE WITHIN TIMEOUT PERIOD" problem

Here's a simple on. When doing a long ftp session, how do you prevent
your system from chucking you off after the "connection timout period"
has been exceeded? I presume it's because the system has not received
any response within that time.

Please email of post any responses. Cheers!

Han

+-----------------+------------------------------------------------------------+

|  to a signature |                                                            |
|   file near you |           "I got a *BAD* feeling about this drop."               |
|                 |                                                    -ALIENS |
+-----------------+------------------------------------------------------------+

2. lexmark 3200 and linux

3. ppp fails "LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests"

4. PCMCIA ethernet support (what cards?)

6. Allocating large blocks for memory

8. Q: Why is "Text file busy"?!? Samba config?

9. failed "Read Cd/Dvd Capacity";failed "Prevent/Allow Medium Removal"

10. "sar -f <file>" fails with "sar: malloc failed"

11. failed "Read Cd/Dvd Capacity";failed "Prevent/Allow Medium Removal"

12. failed "Prevent/Allow Medium Removal" ;failed "Read Cd/Dvd Capacity"

13. Getting Sendmail to Read "Reply-To" and "Subject" from file