Apache 1.0.5 -> 1.1.1 (Linux): problem

Post by Mirko Casert » Sat, 28 Sep 1996 04:00:00

It seems this problem has never been reported in this newsgroup so I guess posting it
shouldn't be a bad idea. I understand the description of the problem isn't that good, but
let's have a try... :)

I recently upgraded Apache from 1.0.5 to 1.1.1. Compiling went just fine: no warnings,
errors, etc. The machine is a Linux 2.0.21 box.

The problem is: when running Apache 1.1.1, while loading some heavy pages from a PC on the
local ethernet network [with Netscape (any version), while with Lynx and libwww's get
everything's right], the download hangs and the page stands still with some missing images
while Netscape's logo tells the download is in progress...

Another sympton is: when running Apache 1.1.1, killing the parent process doesn't effect child
processes. I mean: while before with Apache 1.0.5 killing the parent process (using the pid
found in logs/httpd.pid) resulted in a complete httpd server shutdown, now it seems every
child process isn't recognized as a child of the parent process and isn't killed when the
parent process dies.

When downgrading to 1.0.5 all troubles disappear. Furthermore, I can't find stange stuff in
the error_log file. I'm running virtual hosts but even commenting the <VIRTUALHOST> directives
and restarting the server doesn't solve the problem, so I guess it has nothing to do with
virtual hosts.

May anyone explain what's happening, please? If replying with a posting, please include a CC:
to my email's address.

Thanks a lot in advance!

http://www.fr.flashnet.it/

Post by Magnus Stenma » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> It seems this problem has never been reported in this newsgroup so I guess posting it
> shouldn't be a bad idea. I understand the description of the problem isn't that good, but
> let's have a try... :)

> I recently upgraded Apache from 1.0.5 to 1.1.1. Compiling went just fine: no warnings,
> errors, etc. The machine is a Linux 2.0.21 box.

> The problem is: when running Apache 1.1.1, while loading some heavy pages from a PC on the
> local ethernet network [with Netscape (any version), while with Lynx and libwww's get
> everything's right], the download hangs and the page stands still with some missing images
> while Netscape's logo tells the download is in progress...

The stalled Netscapes may be a KeepAlive problem
Disable KeepAlives in httpd.conf

/magnus

1. FTP problem: linux>>win/SGI slow win/SGI>>linux fast

The machine is on a Novell 4.2 network and uses an Intel
Ether Express 16 card. It is possible to be on another
machine and transfer a file FROM the linux box at a rate of
about 600kB/s.
However, transferring to the linux machine gives rates of
about 18kB/s.  Similarly if one is
on the Linux box using ftp, transfer both from and
to another machine and
from another machine is slow - around 18Kb / sec.

It is a dual boot system - when tranferring/receiving files
using windoze ftp (QVFTP or WS_FTP) the transfer rates in
both direction are 600kB/s.

At installation time, linux was set up to use the
'eexpress' driver and the bootp protocol.

There are no packet overflows, packets lost or errors generally.

Visualising the transfer using the 'hash' function of ftp
shows that transfer progresses at the expected speed for
10-30kB, then stalls or slows down to a snail pace, then
starts again, slow, stall, slow, etc...

I have tried
- explicitly stating the IRQ=10, I/O base address 0x300
- turning on/off IPX
- making the MTU smaller
- manually configuring (i.e no bootp) the ip address etc.
- playing with the routing window as suggested in the
HOWTO-Ethernet file.

The only effect I have been able to achieve is a reduction
in performance to 13kB/s.

Checking usenet a number of people seem to have had a
similar problem but no relevant solutions suggested.  One
person claimed they started having this problem when
they upgraded their motherboard.

I have no idea what to do next... help...

2. UNIX Sys. Admin Position Opening

3. Samba problem: WinXP <-> ADSL <-> Internet <-> Cable <-> Linux

4. Help:Error:/sbin/agetty:using incompatible library '/lib/libc.so.4.5.26'

5. Q: Print problem: Win95 -> Linux/Samba -> Linux/Netatalk -> LaserWriter

6. make_sock: bind to port 80 does not work

7. Apache problems on DECstation 5000/25 >>HELP<<

8. KDE panel un-autohide unresponsiveness

9. Apache <Location> and <LocationMatch> access control problem

10. Apache 1.3 and <Directory> vs <FilesMatch> problem

11. Apache->PHP-mail()->sendmail problem Debian 3.1

12. Apache <Directory>/<Limit> problem

13. Apache -> multiple access_logs -> ?potential problems?