Correct way to mount an NFS so it doesn't hang?

Correct way to mount an NFS so it doesn't hang?

Post by john bro » Wed, 07 May 2003 17:16:18

I had a question about mounting an NFS share.  Your typical "device
busy".  I looked at past posts and realized everyone had the same
problem.  I've read many documents that state the same thing.  It's as
simple as "mount" and "umount", what could be easier.  Well why is it
many receive the same "device busy" error after running the "umount"
command?  What is it that I may be doing wrong?  I believe I read
somewhere that you should only share "/" or "/usr", I may be mistaken.
 I am sharing a file in my /home directory. I don't want to have to
reboot after sharing the file everytime.  Any help would be
appreciated.  Sorry if this has been answered before.

Post by Bernd Schuber » Wed, 07 May 2003 19:55:38

> I had a question about mounting an NFS share.  Your typical "device

    ^^^^
Had ? You don't have it anymore ? ;)

Quote:> busy".  I looked at past posts and realized everyone had the same
> problem.  I've read many documents that state the same thing.  It's as
> simple as "mount" and "umount", what could be easier.  Well why is it
> many receive the same "device busy" error after running the "umount"
> command?  What is it that I may be doing wrong?  I believe I read
> somewhere that you should only share "/" or "/usr", I may be mistaken.

Completely mistaken!

Quote:>  I am sharing a file in my /home directory. I don't want to have to
> reboot after sharing the file everytime.  Any help would be
> appreciated.  Sorry if this has been answered before.

Could you please be a bit more clear ? I guess you want to umount /home from
one of your clients, right ? If it is so, this won't work as long as your
clients is still using files from this directory (e.g. run 'lsof |grep
shared_name'). One reason could be that you are logged in as user and e.g.
your bash is writing its history, etc.

Bernd

Post by john bro » Wed, 07 May 2003 23:15:47

> > I had a question about mounting an NFS share.  Your typical "device
>     ^^^^
> Had ? You don't have it anymore ? ;)

> > busy".  I looked at past posts and realized everyone had the same
> > problem.  I've read many documents that state the same thing.  It's as
> > simple as "mount" and "umount", what could be easier.  Well why is it
> > many receive the same "device busy" error after running the "umount"
> > command?  What is it that I may be doing wrong?  I believe I read
> > somewhere that you should only share "/" or "/usr", I may be mistaken.

> Completely mistaken!

> >  I am sharing a file in my /home directory. I don't want to have to
> > reboot after sharing the file everytime.  Any help would be
> > appreciated.  Sorry if this has been answered before.

> Could you please be a bit more clear ? I guess you want to umount /home from
> one of your clients, right ? If it is so, this won't work as long as your
> clients is still using files from this directory (e.g. run 'lsof |grep
> shared_name'). One reason could be that you are logged in as user and e.g.
> your bash is writing its history, etc.

> Bernd

Thanks for a quick response to the question that I "have".  I'll try it.

1. NFS clients don't follow mount point on server to correct file system device

My Solaris Ultra10 server is sharing direcories out to be remote mounted by
Windows 2000 and FreeBSD clients. All is working fine as long as the file
system on the server doesn't have nested directories to other devices, that
is:
/export/home -> c0d0t0s7
/export/home2 -> c0d0t1s7
I share /export, the NFS clients see /export and the directories home and
home2, but they do not follow the mount points to the appropiate file
systems - they go underneath!
Can I mount the devices on the server any other way to prevent access to the
filesystem underneath the mount points? I can't access the file system under
the devices on the server (unless I unmount the devices) Is this something
to do with the overlay switch? I don't want to unmount the current devices,
so can I set up another mount point for each file system with different
settings (such as 'mount -F ufs -o largefile -O /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7 /test'
this says that /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7 is already mounted or /test is in use).
Windows 2000 lets me mount drives to multiple drive letters or folders etc.,
I can't believe Solaris can't.
Thanks,
Mark.

2. snmp solaris managment

3. nfs mount problem: mount: can't get address for nfs-server.kauai

4. How Do I configure Linux so you can dial in

5. NFS hangs, doesn't background

6. n_r3964 -- ad hoc async io vs. multithreading

7. NFS doesn't work (hangs almost immidiately)

8. permitting user access to modems in solaris?

9. NFS-Root: says OK but doesn't mount

10. NFS root mounting doesn't work with 2.1.xxx kernels.

11. diskless computer doesn't mount NFS-Root

12. Need Help: NFS mount doesn't work