Problem Recognizing Enet on Compaq 6000

Post by Paul Barr » Wed, 23 Apr 1997 04:00:00

   I am utilizing RedHat 4.0, kernel version 2.1.31 and I would like to get
the Built-In Ethernet card operational any hints?

   I have the pcnet32 enabled and it says it is searching for a card, however
It doesn't seem to find it.

-----------
Thanks,

Post by Larry DiMegli » Tue, 06 May 1997 04:00:00

>    I am utilizing RedHat 4.0, kernel version 2.1.31 and I would like to get
> the Built-In Ethernet card operational any hints?

>    I have the pcnet32 enabled and it says it is searching for a card, however
> It doesn't seem to find it.

> -----------
> Thanks,

Sounds familar...I have the same machine and trying to do the same as
you. I'll share what I have found out so far. First of all though I'm
running Slackware 3.2 (?) kernel 2.0.0. The Compaq XL page has some
useful information. One of the docs I ran across said the Enet card
would not be found until the problem of the PCI bus not being found is
resovled. It mentioned that the SCSI and graphic card can and will be
found but no other card until the PCI bus is mapped to a different
address. Compaq maps the bus up around the 4GB range. Linux will not
find it there but luckily NetWare does not find it either. So Compaq has
soft paqs to remap the bus to a lower memory range. I think the soft paq
numbers are sp1599 (latest), sp1116, and sp0912 (?). Check out the XL
page but I think these are the right numbers. Anyway, the docs say to
boot in DOS to remap the bus, then use loadlin to boot Linux. Well, the
bus remaps in DOS but on my machine Linux still can not find it. I don't
have too much time into this problem yet but if I find anything else
I'll send you an email, please do the same. It's times like this that
make me wish I could roll my own code.