fetching mail

Post by Jeroen de Vrie » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi everybody

another way to tell my problem

i want to check my mail every hour using a modem connection to the internet.

how have i to configure so that automatically my modem makes connection
once there is a connection fetchmail will started
when fetchmail is ready the line will be closed

if there already a connection is then use that one...

is there somebody who know how deal with this kind of problem????

with regards,

Jeroen de Vries

fetching mail

Post by Bill Mosele » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

remarked...

Quote:> Hi everybody

> i want to check my mail every hour using a modem connection to the internet.

I used pppd(8) (look for "demand" in the man page), along with wvdial(1)
to set up dial on demand.

I also started fetchmail with ip-up to check for mail every few minutes
while on line and used the -M option to prevent fetchmail from keeping
the connection open.

Then I simply just used cron to send out a ping every hour to trigger
dial on demand and to allow fetchmail to read the mail again.

I'm sure there's easier methods, but this was easy enough.....

I used this modified version from SuSE's wvdial.dod to start pppd.  It
worked, so I never closely looked at the settings to make sure they all
made sense.

PPPPDPARAMS="$Modem $Baud modem crtscts $DEFAULTROUTE \
       lcp-echo-interval 0 nodetach \
       user $Username ipcp-accept-local ipcp-accept-remote \
       call wvdial demand idle $Idle";

pppd $PPPPDPARAMS  \
       connect "/usr/bin/wvdial --chat" >&/dev/null & PPPDPID=$!;

echo $PPPDPID >$PIDFILE;

--
Bill Moseley