My linux refuses 'rlogin' 'telnet' what is the problem??

My linux refuses 'rlogin' 'telnet' what is the problem??

Post by root » Fri, 09 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I upgraded my Linux to the latest Debian and suddenly
my rlogin and telnet give errors saying, connection
refused.

Can anybody tell me what happens when you try to
connect to a Linux with rlogin, telnet?

What config, or program do I have to look at?

#_________________________________________________________________________
# Name          : Jong

# Perl/Tk       :  http://w4.lns.cornell.edu/~pvhp/ptk/ptkPORT.html
# Perl/OpenGL   :  http://www.arc.ab.ca/vr/opengl/
# Perl          :  http://www.perl.com/perl/index.html
# Perl Win32    :  http://www.perl.hip.com/
# Debian Linux  :  http://www.debian.org/
# Biomatics Lab :  http://sonja.acad.cai.cam.ac.uk/
#
# PERL         : Also stands for Protein Engineering Research Language
# Linux        : Also stands for Leading Inter Net UniX
#-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by Brian Showalt » Tue, 13 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: I upgraded my Linux to the latest Debian and suddenly
: my rlogin and telnet give errors saying, connection
: refused.

Are you trying to rlogin or telnet as root?  If so, you'll need to make sure
your /etc/securetty file is set up to allow root logins on the tty's you're
using for the incoming connections.
--
Brian R. Showalter

Post by Richard Simps » Wed, 14 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: Hi,

: I upgraded my Linux to the latest Debian and suddenly
: my rlogin and telnet give errors saying, connection
: refused.

: Can anybody tell me what happens when you try to
: connect to a Linux with rlogin, telnet?

: What config, or program do I have to look at?

/etc/inetd.conf perhaps?
--
Richard Simpson
Farnborough, Hants, Uk                 Fax: 01252 392118

My linux refuses 'rlogin' 'telnet' what is the problem??

Post by Thomas Lostaun » Thu, 15 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,

>I upgraded my Linux to the latest Debian and suddenly
>my rlogin and telnet give errors saying, connection
>refused.

>Can anybody tell me what happens when you try to
>connect to a Linux with rlogin, telnet?

>What config, or program do I have to look at?

>Thanks,

>--

Sounds Like you did not run inetd or have those services
running.

Post by Jordan H. Ebe » Thu, 15 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> : Hi,

> : I upgraded my Linux to the latest Debian and suddenly
> : my rlogin and telnet give errors saying, connection
> : refused.

> : What config, or program do I have to look at?

> /etc/inetd.conf perhaps?

Check the /etc/host.conf file.
Is there a trim ________   line in there?
If there is, put a # before it and reboot. If that fixes your problem,
then remove the # and edit the line to
trim fully.qualified.domain.name
Make sure you include your personal hostname!  I think there is an error
in some documentation somewhere that says you can use trim with just the
domain part of your hostname.  Good Luck

.jordan

1. Problem in getting screen size when 'rlogin' and 'telnet'

Hi,
        I have a problem in getting screen size using "ioctl" function.

        The following program returns the correct screen size if the term is
by "rlogin" but does return an error if term is by "telnet".

#include<stdio.h>
#include<termios.h>
#include<unistd.h>
extern int errno;
main()
{
   struct winsize ws;

   if (ioctl(STDOUT_FILENO, TIOCGWINSZ, &ws) < 0)
        printf("%d is the errno\n", errno);

   printf("%d is the width\n", ws.ws_col);
   printf("%d is the length\n", ws.ws_row);

The output for the above program from an "rlogin" window is
90 is the width
58 is the length

The output from a "telnet" window is
22 is the errno
0 is the width
0 is the length

Could anybody educate me regarding this?

        Also "stty" behaves differently from "rlogin" window and from a "telnet"
window.
        The command "stty rows 24" works Okay on an "rlogin" terminal
but, on a "telnet" terminal it gives the following error:
        unknown mode: rows

Could anybody help me in this regard? Please send me email.

Thanks

vasant

2. linux to win2000 gateway

3. 'w' shows '-' if telnet or rlogin to linux box

4. Network Backups

5. Will changing IP address affect 'rlogin'/'telnet'?

6. (modem) all ports busy

7. 'ping' sees route but 'telnet' doesn't??

8. screensavers are not working

9. OT: It's 2001 & M$ refuses to 'see' Linux partitions

10. 'su' and 'rlogin' wierdness under 2.6 ...

11. Where am I 'rlogin'ing from.

12. Simple 'sed', 'awk', 'cut' problem

13. Help: problems with 'w', 'who' and 'last'