Internet connection through a win 2000 box

Internet connection through a win 2000 box

Post by Peter Nun » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,
        I have a network setup at home that because of history and
hardware has a win 2K box connected to my linux box with the modem and
everything* off the 2K box.

Now, i can ping the 2k box by name, I can smbount shares etc, but I
can't seem to get the internet connection working through it.

I have set the default host to the 2k box but when I try and fire up
either netscape or a news reader, I get unable to contact server
messages.

(No route to host).

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

I am using RH6.2 and setting up the network stuff through linuxconf.

Thanks,  I know I am probably not giving enough information here, so
feel free to yell at me if thats the case.

Thanks again.
Peter
Peter Nunn
DownUnder

Post by Martin Herrm » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Hi all,
>    I have a network setup at home that because of history and
> hardware has a win 2K box connected to my linux box with the modem and
> everything* off the 2K box.

> Now, i can ping the 2k box by name, I can smbount shares etc, but I
> can't seem to get the internet connection working through it.

> I have set the default host to the 2k box but when I try and fire up
> either netscape or a news reader, I get unable to contact server
> messages.

> (No route to host).

> Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

Did you configure the DNS on the clients? (DNS converts names to ip adresses)

First try to ping an outside ip (in stead of an outside name):

ping www.xs4all.nl is the same as ping 194.109.6.92

if the ping with the ip adress works, it is probably your DNS setup.

Just edit /etc/resolv.conf on the clients:

search <domain name, for example xs4all.nl>
nameserver <ip adres of dns server1>
nameserver <ip adres of dns server2>

Then try to ping an outside server again.

HTH!

Martin

--
Linux Gebruikers Handleiding v1.2 : http://www.veryComputer.com/
Linux RedHat 6.1 Kernel 2.2.14  Toshiba P233 MHz, 32 Mb RAM

Internet connection through a win 2000 box

Post by Peter Nun » Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi Martin,
        thanks for the reply.

I tried pinging outside the network and it worked fine (although I got
some quite high packet losses, up to 50%).

The /etc/resolv.conf file look OK with the following.

domain milkyway
nameserver ip.ip.ip.ip  (the correct address).

Any clues??

BTW, the irc chat lines seem to work fine over the connection.

Very strange...

>Did you configure the DNS on the clients? (DNS converts names to ip adresses)

>First try to ping an outside ip (in stead of an outside name):

>ping www.xs4all.nl is the same as ping 194.109.6.92

>if the ping with the ip adress works, it is probably your DNS setup.

>Just edit /etc/resolv.conf on the clients:

>search <domain name, for example xs4all.nl>
>nameserver <ip adres of dns server1>
>nameserver <ip adres of dns server2>

>Then try to ping an outside server again.

>HTH!

>Martin

Peter Nunn
DownUnder

Post by Chuck Swige » Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> I tried pinging outside the network and it worked fine (although I got
> some quite high packet losses, up to 50%).

That's not "working fine".  You should try to identify where the
packet loss is happening.

Quote:> The /etc/resolv.conf file look OK with the following.
> domain milkyway
> nameserver ip.ip.ip.ip  (the correct address).

It's very likely that 'milkyway' is not a valid DNS domain, assuming
that is what you've actually got in that file.

-Chuck

       ------------------------+-------------------+--------------------
       I know that you are an optimist if you think I am a pessimist....

Internet connection through a win 2000 box

Post by pn.. » Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Yep that would be right.

I am using w2K and the milkyway bit is actually my workgroup.  How do I
get this to be a domain under 2K (I couldn't do it under NT either as I
was only running Workstation)?

I always thought this was a bit strange.

How do I track down where the packets are going missing?

Ta

Peter

> > I tried pinging outside the network and it worked fine (although I
got
> > some quite high packet losses, up to 50%).

> That's not "working fine".  You should try to identify where the
> packet loss is happening.

> > The /etc/resolv.conf file look OK with the following.

> > domain milkyway
> > nameserver ip.ip.ip.ip  (the correct address).

> It's very likely that 'milkyway' is not a valid DNS domain, assuming
> that is what you've actually got in that file.

> -Chuck

Donut.
>        ------------------------+-------------------+------------------
--
>        I know that you are an optimist if you think I am a
pessimist....

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Chuck Swige » Sat, 03 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> I am using w2K and the milkyway bit is actually my workgroup.  How do I
> get this to be a domain under 2K (I couldn't do it under NT either as I
> was only running Workstation)?

Not a Windows domain, a DNS domain.  You can purchase a domain from
registars like www.networksolutions.com (or whatever the equivalent is
for .au).

Quote:> How do I track down where the packets are going missing?

traceroute is a useful tool which should show you which hop(s) are
having network slowdowns or packet loss.

-Chuck

       I know that you are an optimist if you think I am a pessimist....