GTE Internet DSL and Linux

Post by Gary N. DaSilv » Thu, 13 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Has anyone been able to connect to the Internet through GTEI (GTE Internet)
DSL, using DHCP?  My DHCP request for an IP address just times out.  When I
call GTE the tech support script-readers recite the manta, "We do not
support Linux".  I ask if that means that their servers do not work with a
Linux client, or that they just don't give Linux advice, and they respond,
"We do not support Linux."  I ask if they can see packets coming from my
computer, and they say, "We do not support Linux."

Meanwhile, I paid the fine people at Red Hat $225 to help me with this, and
they say that my computer is configured correctly.

Any luck, anyone?

Thanks,
Gary DaSilva

GTE Internet DSL and Linux

Post by Jonathan Edward » Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I am using GTE's DSL but a 3rd party ISP, which gives the best of both
worlds.

However, I believe one of my coworkers is (successfully) doing exactly what
you want to do.  I will check with him and get back to you...

>Has anyone been able to connect to the Internet through GTEI (GTE Internet)
>DSL, using DHCP?  My DHCP request for an IP address just times out.  When I
>call GTE the tech support script-readers recite the manta, "We do not
>support Linux".  I ask if that means that their servers do not work with a
>Linux client, or that they just don't give Linux advice, and they respond,
>"We do not support Linux."  I ask if they can see packets coming from my
>computer, and they say, "We do not support Linux."

>Meanwhile, I paid the fine people at Red Hat $225 to help me with this, and
>they say that my computer is configured correctly.

>Any luck, anyone?

>Thanks,
>Gary DaSilva

GTE Internet DSL and Linux

Post by Steve Cowle » Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Has anyone been able to connect to the Internet through GTEI (GTE
Internet)
> DSL, using DHCP?  My DHCP request for an IP address just times out.  When
> call GTE the tech support script-readers recite the manta, "We do not
> support Linux".  I ask if that means that their servers do not work with a
> Linux client, or that they just don't give Linux advice, and they respond,
> "We do not support Linux."  I ask if they can see packets coming from my
> computer, and they say, "We do not support Linux."

> Meanwhile, I paid the fine people at Red Hat $225 to help me with this,
and
> they say that my computer is configured correctly.

> Any luck, anyone?

> Thanks,
> Gary DaSilva

Gary,

I use GTE Internet with linux (redhat 6.1) without any problems at all. My
external interface is setup to get its IP address using DHCP. With redhat
(6.0 and 6.1) they use a program called "pump" to manage the DHCP enabled
interface. I did have to download an updated version of "pump" to get things
working, but since then I have had no problems. Also, if your using
"ipchains" make sure your not blocking DHCP requests.

If it helps, this is my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 file that
is read at bootup on my system.

Steve Cowles
SWCowles at gte dot net

DEVICE="eth1"
IPADDR=""
NETMASK=""
ONBOOT="yes"
BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
IPXNETNUM_802_2=""
IPXPRIMARY_802_2="no"
IPXACTIVE_802_2="no"
IPXNETNUM_802_3=""
IPXPRIMARY_802_3="no"
IPXACTIVE_802_3="no"
IPXNETNUM_ETHERII=""
IPXPRIMARY_ETHERII="no"
IPXACTIVE_ETHERII="no"
IPXNETNUM_SNAP=""
IPXPRIMARY_SNAP="no"
IPXACTIVE_SNAP="no"

and my /etc/sysconfig/network file

NETWORKING=yes
FORWARD_IPV4="yes"
HOSTNAME="voyager"
GATEWAY=""
GATEWAYDEV=""

1. GTE, DSL and Linux

I just got off the phone with a GTE rep who told me in no uncertain
terms that GTE will not install ADSL if the connected machine runs
UNIX, Linux, any MacOS, or Win 3.1.  I briefly explained to her that
this didn't make sense to me.  DSL is a datalink layer protocol and
there are no special software or routing requirements.  I was informed
that this refusal is a matter of _policy_ and has noting to do with
the technical requirements of the CPE.  She even told me that if I
asked for the service and later it was discovered I had one of the
forbidden opsys's  the installation techs would refuse to complete the
install!

This sounds fishy to me.  After all, an ADSL modem is basically a
protocol converter for ethernet to DSL and v. v. -- or am I missing
something.  That a regulated common carrier should install the service
for some customers but not for others seems a little suspicious.  Has
anyone else had similar experiences with their Telco refusing to
install DSL is you are running a forbidden system?  Am I missing
something about the technology  or is this just Telco bullheadedness.
Frankly I am ready to write the CPUC and complain about this  but I'd
like to be sure I am on solid technical ground.  It's not as if there
is any competitor I can go to for the service...

--
        Stephen Carville
Civilization, as we know it today, owes it's existence to the

2. one ip for two machines

3. GTE/Verizon & Linux DSL

4. Porting linux apps on UltraSparc

5. Linux with GTE Internet:

6. Profiling tools that work with shared libraries

7. GTE for DSL and ISP

8. Help with dump (to file)

9. DHCP over GTE DSL Connection?

10. DHCP problem with GTE DSL modem and Solaris x386

11. verizon/gte DSL

12. GTE.NET Internet Connection Settings

13. DSL on Linux 2.2.20: internet getting slower