File transfer between 2 PCs via parallel port

File transfer between 2 PCs via parallel port

Post by Gianm » Wed, 05 Sep 2001 23:12:47

Hi all,

I need to transfer files between 2 PCs connected via parallel port using a
Laplink cable (4 bits). In Windows a use File Marven 35a application
(FMAV35a), a small DOS clone of Laplink program. Is there something
available in Linux?

Thanks a lot.
Gianmario.

File transfer between 2 PCs via parallel port

Post by Michael Heimin » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 05:57:46

Gianma wrote at Tuesday 04 September 2001 16:12 like only he can:

Quote:> Hi all,

> I need to transfer files between 2 PCs connected via parallel port
> using a Laplink cable (4 bits). In Windows a use File Marven 35a
> application (FMAV35a), a small DOS clone of Laplink program. Is
> there something available in Linux?

> Thanks a lot.
> Gianmario.

You need to setup PLIP (parallel port IP), not sure if this works
Linux <--> M$. PPP over serial ports, using a null-modem cable should
work anyway, but may be to slow for huge files.
Consider, that 2 x NIC and a crossover cable are really cheap today.
There are HOWTO's about PLIP and PPP on linuxdoc.org available.

Good luck

Michael Heiming