wifi ap over usb

Post by Antoine Juno » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 19:52:42

Hi all,

Does anyone know about a USB wifi device that can act as an access
point without using ndiswrapper? (that's for an arm platform).

Thanks for your reply,
-AJ

wifi ap over usb

Post by Lasse Jense » Sat, 26 Jan 2008 00:45:42

> Hi all,

> Does anyone know about a USB wifi device that can act as an access
> point without using ndiswrapper? (that's for an arm platform).

> Thanks for your reply,

Zydas ZD1201 and ZD1211, but it's not incredible stable.

--
Lasse Jensen [fafler at g mail dot com]
Linux, the choice of a GNU generation.

wifi ap over usb

Post by Antoine Juno » Sat, 26 Jan 2008 16:16:02

>> Hi all,

>> Does anyone know about a USB wifi device that can act as an access
>> point without using ndiswrapper? (that's for an arm platform).

>> Thanks for your reply,

> Zydas ZD1201 and ZD1211, but it's not incredible stable.

I've juste tried to make it work for two weeks now, without great
success. The only available driver providing the AP facility is the
old one provided by Zydas that's not supported nor developped
anymore. And it is able to work as an AP only if the client is
retrying tons of times (the driver seems to not send any beacon
frames). And frankly, code is not clean enough to accept any
modifications. The driver included in the kernel, zd1211rw, does not
handle the AP mode, its git tree has not been modified for several
months and it seems there is no roadmap and no work that goes into an
AP feature direction.

The dream would be to find a Prism based USB wifi device that's
supportred by hostapd. But I'm not able to find any documentation /
page about such a device.

A+
-AJ

wifi ap over usb

Post by Lasse Jense » Sun, 27 Jan 2008 08:47:49

>>> Hi all,

>>> Does anyone know about a USB wifi device that can act as an access
>>> point without using ndiswrapper? (that's for an arm platform).

>>> Thanks for your reply,

>> Zydas ZD1201 and ZD1211, but it's not incredible stable.

> I've juste tried to make it work for two weeks now, without great
> success. The only available driver providing the AP facility is the
> old one provided by Zydas that's not supported nor developped
> anymore. And it is able to work as an AP only if the client is
> retrying tons of times (the driver seems to not send any beacon
> frames). And frankly, code is not clean enough to accept any
> modifications. The driver included in the kernel, zd1211rw, does not
> handle the AP mode, its git tree has not been modified for several
> months and it seems there is no roadmap and no work that goes into an
> AP feature direction.

I know. And when it finally did work, it crashed my entire system a couple
of times every week. Had to sacrifice my SCSI card for a Atheros based PCI
card instead of my ZD1211 USB device.

Quote:> The dream would be to find a Prism based USB wifi device that's
> supportred by hostapd. But I'm not able to find any documentation /
> page about such a device.

I don't think such a thing exist. Except maybe with one of the rare USB to
PCMCIA bridges, but i have no idea if they are supported under Linux. The
ZD1201 might be a little better. Had one once, but accidently fried it
after i tried to replace the antenna. Anyway, although it was b only and
was just about fast enough to stream DivX if mplayer had a really big
buffer and all my bluetooth devices was turned off, it was a lot more
stable than the ZD1211.

--
Lasse Jensen [fafler at g mail dot com]
Linux, the choice of a GNU generation.

wifi ap over usb

Post by Stefan Monnie » Tue, 29 Jan 2008 06:57:51

Quote:> Does anyone know about a USB wifi device that can act as an access
> point without using ndiswrapper? (that's for an arm platform).

It seems that the rt73usb driver (included in 2.6.24) can do that.
Many (not anywhere near "most, sadly) USB cards use the rt73 chipset.
My Belkin F5D7050 does, for example, tho I haven't actually tried to use
it in master mode.

You may want to ask on the hostapd mailing-list, where I expect you'll
find the highest concentration of people who know about running access
points under GNU/Linux (especially if you want to create a WPA network).

        Stefan

PS: AFAIK ndiswrapper can't be used to make access points anyway.

1. Belkin F5D7050 802.11g USB + AP with hidden SSID problem (using ndiswrapper and wpa_supplicant)

I've just got my Belkin F5D7050 802.11g USB device working using
ndiswrapper and wpa_supplicant in Gentoo which I'm very happy about,
but I can only get it working when I switch on Broadcast ESSID on
the AP (Edimax 7207APG). I really would rather be able to switch off
the ESSID broadcast. It works just fine with Windows XP.

I would be very grateful for any help.

Alec

---------

Here's my wpa_supplicant.conf:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ap_scan=1

network={
        ssid="babyvox"
        scan_ssid=1
        psk="<key>"
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        proto=WPA

I start wpa_supplicant with:

wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -Dndiswrapper -d

and I then get:

Initializing interface 'wlan0' conf '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf' driver 'ndiswrapper'
Configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf' -> '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'
Reading configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'
ctrl_interface='/var/run/wpa_supplicant'
ap_scan=1
Priority group 0
   id=0 ssid='babyvox'
Initializing interface (2) 'wlan0'
EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state DISCONNECTED
EAPOL: KEY_RX entering state NO_KEY_RECEIVE
EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state INITIALIZE
EAP: EAP entering state DISABLED
EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
Own MAC address: 00:11:50:18:5e:a4
Setting scan request: 0 sec 100000 usec
Wireless event: cmd=0x8b06 len=8
RTM_NEWLINK, IFLA_IFNAME: Interface 'wlan0' added
RTM_NEWLINK, IFLA_IFNAME: Interface 'wlan0' added
Starting AP scan (specific SSID)
Scan SSID - hexdump_ascii(len=7):
     62 61 62 79 76 6f 78                              babyvox
ioctl[SIOCSIWSCAN{,EXT}]: No such device
Failed to initiate AP scan.
Setting scan request: 10 sec 0 usec
Scan timeout - try to get results
Received 0 bytes of scan results (0 BSSes)
Scan results: 0
Selecting BSS from priority group 0
No suitable AP found.
Setting scan request: 5 sec 0 usec
Starting AP scan (broadcast SSID)
Scan timeout - try to get results
Received 537 bytes of scan results (2 BSSes)
Scan results: 2
Selecting BSS from priority group 0
0: 00:90:96:c7:8e:13 ssid='' wpa_ie_len=0 rsn_ie_len=0
   skip - no WPA/RSN IE
1: 00:50:fc:f3:9d:61 ssid='' wpa_ie_len=26 rsn_ie_len=0
   skip - SSID mismatch
No suitable AP found.
Setting scan request: 5 sec 0 usec

I want to connect to the one with the SSID mismatch.

2. getting the mouse to cooperate with pcsim

3. Linux distribution what supports USB WIFI Dongle (zd1211bu).

4. NIS problem with Sol 2.6

5. USB WiFi + Linux, have you tried it?

6. ifconfig error: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Try again --> means IRQ conflict

7. Actiontec USB WiFi working under Linux

8. Please help me understand about processes and fork() !

9. Recommend a USB wifi card that supports Linux and packet injection

10. USB wifi key

11. Spinnaker chipset USB wifi card

12. Newbie - Plz help - WiFi USB Help required

13. USB wifi adaptor and WPA network