Help: Linux Internt Gateway for NT workstations..possible?

Help: Linux Internt Gateway for NT workstations..possible?

Post by Colin Micheal Yate » Wed, 09 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hello.

The place where I work has an NT workstation acting as a file server to
other NT/95 workstations.  Currently, each machine has a modem connected,
and we have an internet service provider (AAPI).

I was wondering what functionality Linux could add to the network.  I was
hoping it could in some way server the other workstations, both as a
mail/news server and as an internet gateway.

Could somebody please tell me whether I am dreaming, or if indeed this is
possible.

If it is possible, what documentation should I read?

I hope this isn't too much of a silly question, it is just that I cannot
bear using NT/95, and I need an excuse to set up a Linux machine!

Thanks,

Colin Yates
Software Engineer - ACCESS Accounts Ltd.

Post by Ricardo Malt » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

--------------A66B1BED35B1C88B50D6DFDC

> I was wondering what functionality Linux could add to the network.  I
> was
> hoping it could in some way server the other workstations, both as a
> mail/news server and as an internet gateway.

> Could somebody please tell me whether I am dreaming, or if indeed this
> is
> possible.

Hi Collin,I'm to say you: You are not dreamming ;-))
If you do set a Linux-Box as your Mail-Server/Gateway you
will probabily get very happy. You'll for example be able to
send/receive e-mails bigger the 1MB (that's not possible with
NT/Exchange)

Quote:> If it is possible, what documentation should I read?

I don't know what you should read !!! But the steps for implementing
this are:
1. Set Linux as a Name-Server
2. Configure Sendmail
3. Perhaps setup POP3
4. Configure the routing-Table
5. Set on the Win-Mashines DNS-Active(NameServer=Linux-Server)
6. Set on the Win-Mashines Gateway = Linux-Server

Take a look on the HowTos ;-))

Nice hacking ...

--
MfG
Ricardo Malta           Phone : (+49)-89-382-47423

D-81245 Muenchen
Real programmers don't comment their code.
It was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.

--------------A66B1BED35B1C88B50D6DFDC

<HTML>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>I was wondering what functionality Linux could add
to the network.&nbsp; I was
<BR>hoping it could in some way server the other workstations, both as
<BR>mail/news server and as an internet gateway.

<P>Could somebody please tell me whether I am dreaming, or if indeed this
is
<BR>possible.
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Collin,I'm to say you: You are not dreamming ;-))
<BR>If you do set a Linux-Box as your Mail-Server/Gateway you
<BR>will probabily get very happy. You'll for example be able to
<BR>send/receive e-mails bigger the 1MB (that's not possible with NT/Exchange)
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>

<P>If it is possible, what documentation should I read?
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't know what you should read !!! But the steps for implementing this
are:
<BR>1. Set Linux as a Name-Server
<BR>2. Configure Sendmail
<BR>3. Perhaps setup POP3
<BR>4. Configure the routing-Table
<BR>5. Set on the Win-Mashines DNS-Active(NameServer=Linux-Server)
<BR>6. Set on the Win-Mashines Gateway = Linux-Server

<P>Take a look on the HowTos ;-))

<P>Nice hacking ...
<PRE>--&nbsp;
MfG&nbsp;
Ricardo Malta&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Phone : (+49)-89-382-47423&nbsp;
Cenit GmbH&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Fax&nbsp;&nbsp; : (+49)-89-829-209-99

D-81245 Muenchen
Real programmers don't comment their code.
It was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.</PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

--------------A66B1BED35B1C88B50D6DFDC--

1. Linux PPP serving as NT workstation gateways to Net

/ 1 NT 4.0 Server spack6.0a 192.168.2.2 > tcp/ip, netbios, ras, dns
/ 1 Linux Server 192.168.2.1 ppp to isp > gateway via ppp
/ 5 NT 4.0 Workstations spack 6.0a  > tcp/ip
/ & 4 win95b Workstations.   > tcp/ip
I use the NT server as a file and domain server.  I use the linux server
as a gateway to the internet.  The win95 machines find the 192.168.2.1
default gateway I put in thier tcp/ip properties without a problem and are
able to gateway through to the internet.
However, the same settings don't work for the NT workstations.  Is there
some trick I am missing?  How do I gateway a NT workstation?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

2. Maxtor 850 is read when using MiniLinux

3. Win95 Workstation Gateway between Linux und NT-Server

4. ppp problems

5. NT-to-NT via a Linux gateway: help needed

6. NJ Unix Admin Job Oppty

7. Please Be Gentle: Anyone install Linux, NT Workstation, & NT Server on one box?

8. Linux only recognizes 64MB RAM on HP Netserver

9. Help... Linux/NT Workstation problem

10. Using NT Gateway: Possible?

11. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

12. Help with Linux/NT Server Gateway Decision !