pptp-linux

Post by John Sheeha » Wed, 26 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I have downloaded and compiled the pptp-linux distribution, but I have
not had success getting it to work.  This is because I don't understand
how to configure it.  I don't know exactly what I need to include on the
command line to get it to work for my situation.  I am connecting to an
Altiga VPN concentrator that supports IPSec and PPTP.

Does anyone know of any documentation at all (even just a quick few
sentences) about how to use it?  I looked at the USING document that
came with it and couldn't figure out what I need to do for my situation.
When I tried, I couldn't find a way to specify a password, and it didn't
ask me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pptp-linux

Post by Tom East » Wed, 26 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>I have downloaded and compiled the pptp-linux distribution, but I have
>not had success getting it to work.  This is because I don't understand
>how to configure it.  I don't know exactly what I need to include on the
>command line to get it to work for my situation.  I am connecting to an
>Altiga VPN concentrator that supports IPSec and PPTP.

>Does anyone know of any documentation at all (even just a quick few
>sentences) about how to use it?  I looked at the USING document that
>came with it and couldn't figure out what I need to do for my situation.
>When I tried, I couldn't find a way to specify a password, and it didn't
>ask me.

>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You might take a look at http://seawall.sourceforge.net. There are
examples of /etc/pptp.conf and /etc/ppp/options files that work with the
Linux PPTP client. Passwords are managed by pppd, not the PPTP client...

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep             \  Eastep's First Principle of Computing:
ICQ #60745924           \  "Any sane computer will tell you how it

Shoreline, Washington USA \___________________________________________

pptp-linux

Post by b.. » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I have downloaded and compiled the pptp-linux distribution, but I have
> not had success getting it to work.  This is because I don't
understand
> how to configure it.  I don't know exactly what I need to include on
the
> command line to get it to work for my situation.  I am connecting to
an
> Altiga VPN concentrator that supports IPSec and PPTP.

Let me know if you get it to work; I could get a connection to the
Altiga VPN box but could not authenticate. It looked like the Altiga box
was not getting/ignoring my ppp.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

pptp-linux

Post by Tom East » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>> I have downloaded and compiled the pptp-linux distribution, but I have
>> not had success getting it to work.  This is because I don't
>understand
>> how to configure it.  I don't know exactly what I need to include on
>the
>> command line to get it to work for my situation.  I am connecting to
>an
>> Altiga VPN concentrator that supports IPSec and PPTP.

>Let me know if you get it to work; I could get a connection to the
>Altiga VPN box but could not authenticate. It looked like the Altiga box
>was not getting/ignoring my ppp.

Symtoms similar to these are corrected by my pptp-linux patch at:

        ftp://seawall.sourceforge.net/pub/Seawall/patches/callid.patch

If you see GRE packets going out to the server but no GRE packets coming
back, it's a fair bet that you need the patch.

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep             \  Eastep's First Principle of Computing:
ICQ #60745924           \  "Any sane computer will tell you how it

Shoreline, Washington USA \___________________________________________

1. pptp linux client to pptp nt server

hello,
i try in the moment desperatly to connect a linux (a 2.2 kernel) to
connect via pptp to a nt server. my provider uses this tunnel to give us
direct access to the internet. (till now we have only www with a proxy).
the problem is, that the nt just does not answer. the provider testet
with a windows system from our office (it's inhouse), this did work.

does anyone know this problem or better even a solution?

we use
pptp-linux client 1.0.2
pppd 2.3.8
the nt version i don't know, i think it's quite new
there is no firewall between the two computers (because it's to tunnel
the intranet)
we want to use PAP for authentification

in our log file only is written that pppd sends a LCP config request,
after doing this some times it disconnects, because no answer arrives.
(sorry, i have now the exactly text not here, because i am now home).
also the log file from the provider did only say, that something
connected but not more.

we testet with a linux pptp server, this worked. we have allready tried
really all kinds of configuration, so if this is the reason it must be
quite tricky.

it seems the both linux softwares understand and the both ms softwares,
but unfortunally not linux-ms.

anyone knows something?

thanks,
heiko

2. Who Is Asking For Boot?

3. PPTP-Linux?

4. Is NT ready for prime time ?

5. pptp linux client to pptp nt server

6. Developing multi-threading applications

7. More pptp-linux woes

8. Sun Studio 11 - performance over WAN is horrible, any thoughts?

9. PPTP-linux doesn't work with the latest kernels?

10. Problem with pptp-linux 1.02

11. pptp-linux/pppd problem: can't get past LCP negotiation

12. client pptp-linux-1.0.2 + pppd-mppe-2.3.11 CLP ProtRej problem

13. PPTP linux client