Linux, Samba and Windows

Post by Mark Robert » Thu, 21 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Yep - your Windows'98 machine sends encrypted passwords.
There is a security hole in SAMBA and Win'95 where passwords were sent
in clear form across the network so anyone could intercept them.

There are several solutions:
a) setup Win'98 to send passwords in clear form
        [you can do this using regedit, this means you accept the resulting
security hole]
b) get SAMBA to use encrypted passwords and either
                get the patch to update your Win'95 box to encrypt passwords
        or
                upgrade your Win'95 box to Win'98

There is a web site for SAMBA detailing the problems - can't remember
the link though.