Question: NAT/IP tunelling

Post by Robert Youn » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi Netter,

Sometimes ago, I asked this newsgroup on the existence of NAT (Network
Address
Translation) for Linux and received information on IP tunelling, instead.
So,
I figured out that there exists no NAT software for Linux.  I hope some of
you
can tell me that I am wrong.

Anyway, I do have a question on NAT (or IP tunelling) for Linux.  Is it
legal
to use the IP tunelling to let your private net (192.x.x.x) surf or connect
the Internet?

--
Robert Young,

Question: NAT/IP tunelling

Post by Curt » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Take a look at http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/IP-Masquerade.html
IP masquerading is a simple form of NAT.

There are a couple different ways to implement a VPN
via pppd and ssh http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/VPN.html
via vpnd  http://www2.crosswinds.net/nuremberg/~anstein/unix/vpnd.html
via IPSEC  http://www.xs4all.nl/~freeswan/

If you connect a private network (10.0.0.0, 192.168.x.y) to the internet,
the packets will probably just be dropped by the first router.  I don't know
that is it illegal.  It just won't work.

I don't see any reason you can't tunnel through the internet, where the
tunnelled net is a private network.  That is it's purpose.