ICMP problems

Post by Jeff Kilgo » Thu, 05 Jan 1995 02:11:35

I am attempting to set up PPP on my Linux box at home. I added
the localhost (127.0.0.1) loopback using ifconfig and route, and
everything looks ok there. However, when I ping localhost, I get
"...unknown protocol icmp." I remade the kernel, and verified that
icmp.c was in fact being compiled, but still no go.

A friend suggested using netconfig to set things up. Has anyone
run into the icmp unknown protocol problem? Is there something I
overlooked in the process of setting things up manually?

Any advice is appreciated. Please e-mail as well as posting, as I
occasionally have newsfeed problems.

Thanks,

ICMP problems

Post by Johannes Stil » Fri, 06 Jan 1995 04:29:46

Quote:>I am attempting to set up PPP on my Linux box at home. I added
>the localhost (127.0.0.1) loopback using ifconfig and route, and
>everything looks ok there. However, when I ping localhost, I get
>"...unknown protocol icmp." I remade the kernel, and verified that
>icmp.c was in fact being compiled, but still no go.

[...]

You are missing the /etc/protocols file.
Now one has to assume that other files might be missing as well.
So try reinstalling the whole tcp/ip package from a distribution.

        Johannes

1. ICMP problem. Help!

Hi!

I need to program (very urgent) a piece of code that
generates a ICMP port unreachable message (when it receives
a UDP packet from a client application).

I tried to do this using raw sockets but, I still have
some problems. I seem to construct the packet correctly
(icmpd header + ip header + 8 bytes of former UDP header)
and then I pass it to the socket (kernel should prepend
the IP header tho this packet).
The problem is, the client application only receives
a ICMP packet with "protocol unreachable" (ICMP type 3,
code 2).

Has anyone some piece of code on this? Any hints, sites
where to look for more info?

I appreciate any help. This is really, really urgent!!!

JM

2. 2002 - Linux Web Browser Review

3. Ping has ICMP problem!

4. GNUStep: Real or Hoax?!?

5. TCP/UDP/ICMP problems on x86 after install of elx (E-Link 100)

6. Any way to disable fsck status meter?

7. ICMP problems with Linux 2.0.29 + patches

8. solaris 2.5.1 locks help

9. ICMP problems.

10. Help: ICMP problem

11. icmp : does icmp have no dependency on dns?

12. ICMP HOST cannot build IP Header address to echo ICMP HOST

13. make icmp.c be more verbose on broadcast icmp errors