upgrade/instal/uninstal packages linux box safety issue

upgrade/instal/uninstal packages linux box safety issue

Post by Vinay Nagri » Fri, 03 Nov 2006 04:54:16

Hello Group,

Could some one tell me how safe it is to upgrade/uninstall application
level packages i.e libxml2,
libxlm-dev.  I have libxml2-2.5.20, for a Kannel (a WAP gateway)
package I need a libxml2-2.6
package.

I read somewhere that it can be unsafe if a package is
upgraded/uninstalled from the original
distribution of Linux.

I am seeking some expert advice.  Without upgrading the package my
Kannel won't work on my
machine.

Please advise.

Thanks.

arun

1. glibc2: reentrancy, thread-safety, signal-safety

I have heard that glibc2 is close to thread-safe. Does anyone know how
thread thread safety is implemented. Does thread-safety mean signal-safety
that is: I can use --say-- malloc() both in the main process-flow code and
in signal handlers. I suppose it would fairly simply to enforce
thread-safety by using library owned mutexes or critical sections. But this
would preclude signal safety because of potential deadlocks.

By the same token, does anyone know how reentrancy relates to thread-safety
and signal-safety.

Thanks.

Peter

2. Apache and Frontpage

3. LinuxThreads and thread-safety, re-entrancy, async-safety!

4. DEC 21140 (tulip) @ 100Mbit ??

5. Is there another way than packages to get a program installed on an OpenBSD box ?

6. cd burning in Mandrake 8.0

7. installed packages on freebsd box

8. DNS Cache Pollution

9. Installing a Debian package into a Slackware box

10. using ports to upgrade packages installed

11. Installing/upgrading JRE Issues...

12. UNinstalling RH5.2 Linux and installing NT - can't get rid of LILO

13. Installing&Uninstalling More Than One OS Win2000,Win98, Linux,