need help with subnetting/routing/IP accounting

need help with subnetting/routing/IP accounting

Post by Broc Stirto » Sun, 26 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hello all-
        I was wondering if I could get some help with a networking problem.
First let me say that I am far from a networking expert, so
forgive/correct me if I make some mistakes in my explanation.  Also,
please ask for clarification if necessary.
        We have 5 (NT) machines (IP addresses 163.181.50.101 through 105) which
are currently configured with a netmask of 255.255.255.0 (so they can
see 163.181.50.* machines without a gateway... right?).  I would like to
subnet those 5 and a linux box (as the gateway machine) on an 8-address
subnet so the NT stations cannot see any machine except the other NT
machines and the linux box.  Is this possible if they are still on the
same PHYSICAL network (as long as the routing info (gateway/netmask/etc)
cannot be changed by users on the NT machines)?  Or will the NT stations
still be able to see any host on the physical network without using the
linux box?
        The reason I would like to do this is so I can set up IP accounting
(which as I understand can log network activity by host).  Would this be
feasible?
        Also, the entire network is located inside a firewall.  To access the
internet, browsers must be set up to use the proxy server (this is NOT
the linux box).  Would it be possible to set up a transparent http proxy
that could log web access, so the browsers wouldn't have to be
reconfigured (e.g. squid requires the browsers be configured to use the
proxy correct?)?
        In a nutshell I would like to log all network activity (on a connection
basis, not a packet basis) on these 5 machines.  I thought the above way
may work.  Other suggestions are also appreciated.  Thanks in advance
for your help,

        broc

1. Need to sepecify subnet mask with IP routes

Is it possible to specify a subnet mask with an IP route
in the SIOCADDRT ioctl call?  We need to be able to do
this because various subnets of our class B network use
different subnet masks.  The OSPF and RIP 2 routing protocols
support distributing subnet masks, but I don't see a way
to get them into the kernel so they can be used.

2. Mouse freezes when GUI login set

3. 2 ip adresses, different subnet, ping reply from ip in other subnet ?

4. playing music CD's with xmms...

5. help need for set gateway, subnet and add route

6. gcc/ld options ?

7. Help needed with subnet routing in BSD4.3-Reno

8. IP accounting on subnet (ipchains)

9. subnet to subnet routing question

10. I NEED A LOCAL IP CHECKER TO SEND THE IP TO AN OUTSIDE ACCOUNT!

11. IP: Class C subnet, route, and Novell

12. for each box on a very small lan: route, multi subnets, ip alias