where can i get a english dictionary for linux?

Post by perc » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

where can i get a english dictionary for linux?
english to english.

--
Go ahead!
PercyLoi

where can i get a english dictionary for linux?

Post by Chetan Ahuj » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> where can i get a english dictionary for linux?
> english to english.
> --
> Go ahead!
> PercyLoi

  It took me a minute to  get the correct meaning of the question.
I was asked a similar question by a newbie (ex-windows user)... The
dictionary he was looking for would contain things like:

 cp = copy
 mv = move
 ls = show directory listing
 su -c  'rm -rf /'  =  I am sick of this life and I want to end it all

  :-)

   (By the way, I don't have an answer for the real question.)

     Chetan

where can i get a english dictionary for linux?

Post by perc » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
     I need a dictionary that you used in high- school. because i am a
chinese, my english is too bad to read the manuel & how-to document in
linux.

thanks

Post by Paul E. Lars » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>Hi,
>     I need a dictionary that you used in high- school. because i am a
>chinese, my english is too bad to read the manuel & how-to document in
>linux.

If I am reading this and the original message correctly. You might try
http://www.m-w.com or one of these links might help -
http://www.rahul.net/lai/glossaries.html#Chinese

Paul

--
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=67063&a=635208 - 1999 Hancock Airshow

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=67063&a=2618171 - National Warplane Museum

where can i get a english dictionary for linux?

Post by perc » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi Paul,
    I need a dictionary. i don't need a online dictionary. because i can't
connect to isp every day.
thanks

Post by Jonatha » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Hi Paul,
>     I need a dictionary. i don't need a online dictionary. because i
can't
> connect to isp every day.
> thanks

> > >Hi,
> > >     I need a dictionary that you used in high- school. because i
am a
> > >chinese, my english is too bad to read the manuel & how-to document
in
> > >linux.

> > If I am reading this and the original message correctly. You might
try
> > http://www.m-w.com or one of these links might help -
> > http://www.rahul.net/lai/glossaries.html#Chinese

> > Paul

> > --
> > http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=67063&a=635208 - 1999
Hancock
> Airshow

> > http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=67063&a=2618171 -
National
> Warplane Museum

OK - I suggest a book store.  I like the American Heritage dictionary,
which has word derivations and is very well written.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by blowfis » Tue, 01 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> > where can i get a english dictionary for linux?
> > english to english.
> > --
> > Go ahead!
> > PercyLoi

>   It took me a minute to  get the correct meaning of the question.
> I was asked a similar question by a newbie (ex-windows user)... The
> dictionary he was looking for would contain things like:

>  cp = copy
>  mv = move
>  ls = show directory listing
>  su -c  'rm -rf /'  =  I am sick of this life and I want to end it all

>   :-)

>    (By the way, I don't have an answer for the real question.)

>      Chetan

if you still have not get any reply.
Get "Linux in A Nutshell" published by O Rilley.

Alex / blowfish.

--
- If Vi is God's editor. Then, God must have too much free time on his
hands,

1. ENGLISH-ENGLISH dictionary

hi all
i have been looking for a unix version of an ENG-ENG dict like oxford or
webster.
all i could find is a client for a WEBSTER server but the unix im gonna use
will not be connected to the net.    i need a STAND-ALONE dict.
any ideas ?

 _ __/|         Yoav Weiss (MACK), Israel

 =(___)=
     U          "...Everyone has a little secret he keeps...
 (c)1993         I light the fire while the city sleeps..."
                                                        mc-900f-jesus
P/S RULEZ !!!

2. USB ISDN T/A (Planet UI 1280/Asuscom TA 280)

3. English Dictionary for linux

4. linus 6.1 GUI

5. How do you diable icmp echo requests on the fly?

6. British English dictionary for ispell?

7. Apostrophe woes

8. Need dictionary of english, like Oxford,etc, in Unix.

9. Spell Checker - English Dictionary for UNIX

10. ispell & english dictionaries. a question.

11. English Dictionary

12. British English dictionary