How do I mount a Mac volume or export a partition to a Mac?

How do I mount a Mac volume or export a partition to a Mac?

Post by B. Joshua Rose » Thu, 02 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I've got netatalk installed on my Redhat 6.1 system and I can telnet
from the Mac to the Linux system and I can ping the Mac from the Linux
box so the boxes can see each other. However nothing shows up in the
chooser on the Mac and I haven't been able to do a mount of the Mac
shared folders on the Linux box. What protocol do I specify in
/etc/fstab to mount the Mac folder? I've tried both nfs which failed
with a "Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive" error, no surprise
there I don't think a Mac understands NFS, and I took a random shot by
trying atalk which got a "mount: fs type atalk not supported by kernel"
error.

boris:/misc/shared      /mnt/boris      atalk
user,exec,dev,suid,rw,noauto,rsize=1024,wsize=1024 0 0

Also what do I need to do so that the Linux box can serve files to the
Mac. I put the Mac's IP address in my hosts file and I included the Mac
in my /etc/exports file. What else do I need to do?

Thanks,

Josh

How do I mount a Mac volume or export a partition to a Mac?

Post by Rod Smi » Fri, 03 Dec 1999 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I've got netatalk installed on my Redhat 6.1 system and I can telnet
> from the Mac to the Linux system and I can ping the Mac from the Linux
> box so the boxes can see each other. However nothing shows up in the
> chooser on the Mac and I haven't been able to do a mount of the Mac
> shared folders on the Linux box. What protocol do I specify in
> /etc/fstab to mount the Mac folder?

You can't -- at least, not reliably and not without extra software on the
Mac side. There is some **HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL** code for a Linux
AppleTalk client, but the author claims that the code isn't really
usable. You can find out more at:

http://www.panix.com/~dfoster/afpfs/

If it's important that you be able to read Mac volumes from Linux, your
best bet is to locate a Mac server for some other protocol, like NFS or
SMB. Thursby (http://www.thursby.com/) has an SMB program for Macs called
DAVE, and they say they'll have an NFS program "later this year." I'm
pretty sure I've heard of other NFS implementations for the Mac, but I
don't have any pointers. (Oh, if you use DAVE, you'll need to install
Samba on the Linux box and use smbmount to mount the DAVE-exported
volumes. I can make no promises that Samba and DAVE work well together,
though in theory they should.)

Quote:> Also what do I need to do so that the Linux box can serve files to the
> Mac. I put the Mac's IP address in my hosts file and I included the Mac
> in my /etc/exports file. What else do I need to do?

This is what Netatalk does (make Linux files available to the Mac), but
you don't touch the /etc/hosts or /etc/exports files. In fact, I
recommend you UNDO your changes to those files, since they could
constitute a security problem. (Unless you get a Mac NFS client and want
to use NFS rather than Netatalk to access you Linux box.) You need to
modify the Netatalk configuration files, which are probably located in
/etc/atalk. Details are more than I can go into in a short e-mail
message. Either check the Netatalk HOWTO at
http://thehamptons.com/anders/netatalk/ or buy my book on Linux office
networking (details are at
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~smithrod/network.html), which includes
two chapters on Netatalk and others that provide relevant preliminary or
supplementary information.

--

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~smithrod
Author of books on Linux networking & WordPerfect for Linux

1. Linux <--> Mac Best way to mount NFS volume on a Mac or....?

I have an ethernet network, a Netware 3.12 file server and a mixture of
Linux, Mac and DOS/Windows PC's.

My most urgent need is simple "drag & drop" file sharing between the Mac
and the Linux box to exchange HTML and misc. graphics files for Web
authoring.  We primarily use the Mac because the name-space matches the
Linux name space more closely.

Is the best way to mount a Linux NFS file system on a Mac?

I am also open to the possibility of mounting the Netware server as an
NFS volume on the Linux box w/ Netware NFS and exchanging files that way,
but will I get stuck with an 8.3 name-space?  The doc's I saw weren't
clear but implied this limitation....

And, anybody have any suggestions for better ways to convert Mac text
files to Linux text files (the ^M, CR/LF thing..)?  I heve yet to see an
elegant solution...

John FX Berns
FX Multimedia

www.fxmm.com

Join CAIS: The Chicago Area Internet Society, for info:
http://www.fxmm.com/cais/

2. compiling C++ code as C

3. comp.sys.mac.misc comp.sys.mac.system comp.sys.mac.apps

4. Bash 1.13.cwru and Elm problems

5. New to Mac, How to partition with Messed up Mac install?

6. checking DNS performance usage levels?

7. Mounting Mac Volume

8. COMPAQ (3300) 4/8 GB DAT AUTOLOADER

9. How to mount AIX volume on Mac?

10. How to mount a Mac volume on Linux?

11. Mounting a Mac volume on Linux???

12. mounting linux partitions from the Mac OS

13. how do i mount athe mac partition?