Mail server for multiple domain using a single IP address

Mail server for multiple domain using a single IP address

Post by Matt Kamine » Sun, 02 May 1999 04:00:00

You will need to run multiple instances of sendmail for exach domain.

-matt

> Does anyone know any good solution to configure a Linux box as smtp/pop3
> mail server for multiple domain without using IP aliasing?

> in the same Linux box.

> Thanks!

Mail server for multiple domain using a single IP address

Post by Michael Balder » Sun, 02 May 1999 04:00:00

If you are administering DNS for your domain(s) then you would have to
create a Address record in one of your zone files and point an MX
record back to that Address. Then in every other zone you wanted to
have use that mail server address you can point a Cname record back to
the other i.p.

Example:

In the zone file you have the following for zone domain1.com

mail.domain1.com.       IN A    192.168.0.1
*.domain1.com.          IN MX 10 mail.domain1.com.

In the zone file for domain2.com:

mail.domain2.com.       CNAME   mail.domain1.com.
*.domain2.com.          IN MX 10 mail.domain2.com.

In the zone file for domain3.com:
mail.domain3.com.       CNAME   mail.domain1.com.
*.domain3.com.          IN MX 10 mail.domain3.com.

And so forth. Doing it this way allows the DNS to point many differnet
domains back to the same mail server i.p. Then it is just as simple to
configure the mail server for the multiple domains by adding all the
domain names the server will answer for in /etc/sendmail.cw file
(assuming your using sendmail for smtp).

sendmail.cw
domain1.com
domain2.com
domain3.com

Once you have the changes made, restart the sendmail process and the
server will now answer all SMTP requests for the domains you have
specified. After that it is a simple as modifying your /etc/aliases
file to configure who get's what email and your set.

Mike

>Does anyone know any good solution to configure a Linux box as smtp/pop3
>mail server for multiple domain without using IP aliasing?

>in the same Linux box.

>Thanks!

1. Single IP Address - Multiple hosts each with different domain name.

My LAN has several hosts with one of them using a dynamic dns to allow
access from the internet.

What I want to do is to be able to get to more than one of my local
hosts through this single ip address.  I figure the domain names would
look like
mylan.dyndns.org, then host2.mylan.dyndns.org, host3.mylan.dyndns.org
etc..

How do I do this?  Since dyndns can (apparently) use the
one current IP address, how can I get to the other hosts on the LAN
with a domain name like above from the internet?

To clarify, I'm not talking about multiple web sites but multiple
hosts.

2. Version Numbers ????

3. how to setup multiple domains using the same ip address

4. Just installed Solaris but can't boot to it.

5. ipchains with multiple mail server IP addresses

6. dmesg query produces 1 message

7. Multiple domains and the single address blues

8. Problem with X/Motif app under Japanese OpenWindows

9. multiple IP address mail servers ipchains/iptables

10. multiple virtual email domains on a single IP - possible?

11. Multiple domains, single IP ?

12. MULTIPLE DOMAIN NAMES single IP ??