ipop3d & imapd consuming insane amounts of memory

ipop3d & imapd consuming insane amounts of memory

Post by Christopher B. Smit » Tue, 19 Aug 1997 04:00:00

One of the users on my linux server has received several MIME encoded
images, such that his/her mail spool file is 7odd MB. This wouldn't be
much of a deal, except for that everytime an attempt is made to read
said mail remotely, the responsible ipop3d or imapd (depending on the
protocol being used), swells to like 50MB in size. This just doesn't
seem right. Does anyone have an explanation?

--Chris

ipop3d & imapd consuming insane amounts of memory

Post by Russell Nelso » Wed, 20 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> One of the users on my linux server has received several MIME encoded
> images, such that his/her mail spool file is 7odd MB. This wouldn't be
> much of a deal, except for that everytime an attempt is made to read
> said mail remotely, the responsible ipop3d or imapd (depending on the
> protocol being used), swells to like 50MB in size. This just doesn't
> seem right. Does anyone have an explanation?

No explanation other than a recommendation to switch to qmail, which
comes with a pop3 server that 1) doesn't stuff all your mail into a
single mailbox file, and 2) doesn't need to read the whole blasted
thing into memory just so you can download your mail.

http://www.veryComputer.com/

--

Crynwr Software supports freed software | PGPok | good luck, have fun!
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | taxes feed the *

1. Limiting the amount of memory a program consumes

I've been trying to cause a program to run out of memory, on a linux
machine. More specifically, I wanted to test what happens when an stl
container runs out of memory.

I wrote a program that uses an stl vector and doubles its size with
each iteration, and then prints the current size of the vector.

Then I used 'limit' to limit datasize, stacksize, and memoryuse to
1Mb.

However, when I ran the program, it printed numbers up to 33554432
before I stopped it. Since I used vector<int>, it means that the
program had by then allocated at least 130Mb of memory.

Could anyone explain what went wrong?

2. Sound Problem on RedHat 6.0

3. Large Amount of Kernel Memory on 2.4.16 Consumed by Kiobufs

4. Flaky DNS Server

5. UW imapd/ipop3d security?

6. Problem starting linux ...

7. imapd and ipop3d hole

8. Starting Openwindows in Solaris 5.6, help!

9. How to check the amount of free memory in share memory

10. IMAPD 255 message limit prob? RH5.0 IMAPD

11. Memory use: which process is consuming it all?

12. 'ssh node "ls -lR"': consumes all memory on the client!

13. ArcServ agent consuming memory