Linux laptop in an NT network -- problems with DHCP.

Linux laptop in an NT network -- problems with DHCP.

Post by Gustaf Erikso » Tue, 17 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hello.

I have a problem connecting my Linux laptop to a NT network. The
network is at a client site. I have a laptop configured for the home
office.

The laptop, a Dell Inspiron 5000, is running Debian woody, kernel
version 2.2.16. I can dual-boot to Win2k.

I have a 3Com Megahertz 10Mbps PCMCIA network card.

When in Windows, I have no problem getting a DHCP lease, even though I
haven't recieved a specific hostname to use in the network. However,
in Linux, I cannnot get a lease:

# dhclient eth0
SIOCSIFNETMASK: Cannot assign requested address
SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Cannot assign requested address
Listening on Socket/eth0/unattached
Sending on   Socket/eth0/unattached
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 27
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 37
No DHCPOFFERS recieved.
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.

The network is pure NT4, as far as I can tell.

FWIW, this is the not the first time DHCP hasn't worked. At the
office, I cannot use DHCP either, and have to resort to a static IP.

I have searched Deja and Google, but haven't found anything like this.

Tips and RTFM pointers gratefully accepted.

tia,

/g.

--

End of .signature reached: message halted.

1. setting up RH 5.1 networking to an NT dhcp network

HELP!!  i'm totally stuck here, finished installing linux, but i can't seem
to get it configured to work on the network.  trying to connect to an NT
domain and that NT box is using DHCP.  would i be able to set it up as a
static?  there are only 4 computers on the network and i always have the
same IP address.  not really sure where to go from here..

Thanks for your help!!!

2. RH8 fewer clicks to shutdown?

3. Samba newbie with linux laptop on a win95 dhcp network, HELP!

4. PPP dialing constantly

5. Linux as DHCP client on NT Network

6. ReCompiling GCC 2.7.2 on Solaris, another sucker attempts to ...

7. Linux 5.0 and dhcp and loging clients into nt 4.0 network

8. time snyc

9. DHCP Linux Client at NT-DHCP Server

10. Win NT DHCP server & Linux dhcp client.

11. Mac DHCP client + Linux bootpgw + NT DHCP server

12. linux dhcp client clears NT dhcp server

13. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT