IPX RIP/SAP routing between ppp and eth

Post by David E. Stor » Wed, 10 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Greetings Friends,

I was curious to see if anyone had been able to effectively *route* ipx
using RIP/SAP through ppp and ethernet at the same time.  So far, I have
been able to compile and configure pppd v2.2.0e properly (under kernel
v1.3.84) and set up an IPX Network using the ppp0 interface and my eth0
interfaces.  My problem comes in routing between the two interfaces.  I
have tried ipxd v0.7 from ftp.gwdg.de and mars-nwe v0.97pl2 from the same
site.  I've tried several configurations, but to no avail.  At times, ipxd
wouldn't even start-up unless it was in passive mode, but I needed to
advertise my routes to other routers.  Should I be using the RIP/SAP
features that come with pppd?  Can anyone help me out?  Has anyone
successfully accomplished this?

I'd like to be able to connect two IPX networks using PPP and type
'slist'..... ;>-

-David E. Storey.
    "I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they
                        fly by." - Douglas Adams

Post by Patricia Cros » Wed, 10 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> Greetings Friends,

> I was curious to see if anyone had been able to effectively *route* ipx
> using RIP/SAP through ppp and ethernet at the same time.  So far, I have
> been able to compile and configure pppd v2.2.0e properly (under kernel
> v1.3.84) and set up an IPX Network using the ppp0 interface and my eth0
> interfaces.  My problem comes in routing between the two interfaces.  I
> have tried ipxd v0.7 from ftp.gwdg.de and mars-nwe v0.97pl2 from the same
> site.  I've tried several configurations, but to no avail.  At times, ipxd
> wouldn't even start-up unless it was in passive mode, but I needed to
> advertise my routes to other routers.  Should I be using the RIP/SAP
> features that come with pppd?  Can anyone help me out?  Has anyone
> successfully accomplished this?

> I'd like to be able to connect two IPX networks using PPP and type
> 'slist'..... ;>-

 I'm interested in the same sort-of technology, IPX over PPP for remote
 access from dial-ups to my LAN and vice-versa. If you find anything out
 would you email me, I'll do the same.

 TIA,
 H.Cross

Post by Henrik Storn » Sun, 14 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>> I was curious to see if anyone had been able to effectively *route* ipx
>> using RIP/SAP through ppp and ethernet at the same time.  So far, I have
>> been able to compile and configure pppd v2.2.0e properly (under kernel
>> v1.3.84) and set up an IPX Network using the ppp0 interface and my eth0
>> interfaces.  My problem comes in routing between the two interfaces.  I
>> have tried ipxd v0.7 from ftp.gwdg.de and mars-nwe v0.97pl2 from the same
>> site.  I've tried several configurations, but to no avail.

>> I'd like to be able to connect two IPX networks using PPP and type
>> 'slist'..... ;>-
> I'm interested in the same sort-of technology, IPX over PPP for remote
> access from dial-ups to my LAN and vice-versa. If you find anything out
> would you email me, I'll do the same.

I got this working yesterday, with some help from a posting by
David Higgins on the linux-ppp mailing list. Here's his advice,
with my own additions thrown in:

1) You need kernel 1.3.79 or later. I would recommend getting
   the very latest (1.3.88), since kernels 1.3.72-1.3.86 have
   some ppp slowdown problems. Make sure the kernel has IPX
   support (and NCPFS, if you want to mount Netware volumes).
   Install and boot the new kernel.

2) Compile ppp 2.2.0e with IPX_CHANGE enabled (add "MFLAGS=IPX_CHANGE=1"
   without the quotes to the top-level Makefile). If the linking of pppd
   fails with undefined references to __strtok, then enclose all of
   /usr/include/linux/string.h in an #ifdef __KERNEL__  /  #endif
   sequence. sys-linux.c picks up the kernel-only version of strtok,
   even though it shouldn't.

3) Get ftp://ftp.caldera.com/pub/ipx/ipxripd-0.7.tar.gz, and install it.
   This is the RIP/SAP daemon, that should be running on both the
   "server" and "client" side of the ppp connection.

4) On the "client" side, add the following options to your pppd command
   (e.g. in /etc/ppp/options):
      ipx-network { some new network number }
      ipx-node { make up local node #}:{ make up remote node #}
      ipxcp-accept-remote     # so the made up remote node is overwritten

5) Get ncpfs-0.21.tgz on sunsite. Build and install the ipx utilities in
   this package

6) Fire up the ppp link. When it is up, run the commands
        ipx_configure --auto_primary=on --auto_interface=on
        sleep 30           # Wait for IPX interface to be found
        /usr/sbin/ipxd
   I put these in my /etc/ppp/ip-up .

7) Wait a moment, and you should see the ipx interface show up
   in /proc/net/ipx_interface, and the routes to the Netware hosts
   in /proc/net/ipx_route .

8) Run slist, ncpmount ....

--
Henrik Storner                     | "God was able to create the

http://eolicom.olicom.dk/~storner/ |  base to consider."

Post by Al Longye » Mon, 15 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>4) On the "client" side, add the following options to your pppd command
>   (e.g. in /etc/ppp/options):
>      ipx-network { some new network number }
>      ipx-node { make up local node #}:{ make up remote node #}
>      ipxcp-accept-remote     # so the made up remote node is overwritten

Don't do this in ip-up. The ip-up IS FOR IP protocol **ONLY**.

Put the commands into the ipx-up program which is run when the IPX layer
goes up.

Don't invent network numbers. They, like IP addresses, are negotiated between
the two implemenations of PPP. Use the parameters passed to the ipx-up
program which include the network number.

--

1. Help Trying to Setup IPX RIP/SAP Routing over PPP

I am trying to setup my linux box so I am able to log into a netware server
over a VPN connection.

I have successfully established the VPN connection with the use of PoPToP
using TCP/IP, however,
I am unable to log into my server without IPX.  I have heard that I need to
setup a RIP/SAP router, and
that ipxripd might be a good choice of ones to use, however I have not had
any luck doing so.

If anyone has done this before, or has any suggestions on how to do it, some
help would be appreciated.

The client is a Win98 machine that connects to a Redhat 6.1 PoPToP VPN
server, and then hopefully,
eventually, a Netware 4.11 server...

Thanks in advance.

2. xdm FreeBSD 3.2 loop

3. route based on incoming eth out ppp - two eth / two ppp

4. X on NetBSD/sparc

5. Help Trying to setup IPX and RIP/SAP over PPTP VPN

6. NeXTStep/OpenStep filesystem under Linux?

7. IPX over PPP / IPX routing

8. ftape formatting problem

9. DSS (SAP/RIP) under Linux

10. 2 x ppp and 1 x eth routing question

11. routing out two ppp lines via source eth - iptables

12. Routing with ppp and eth

13. Need help:routing table for 1 eth and n ppp interfaces