apache access to public_html directory of user with umlaut in his name

apache access to public_html directory of user with umlaut in his name

Post by Roland Hilkenbac » Sat, 07 Apr 2001 19:56:48

Hi,
I have some users here with umlaut-chars in their names like ??. I cannot change their names due to
the NT-Domain Controller responsible for the user logons. Those users cannot connect to their
public_html directory. I suppose this is due to the recoding of these special chars. Is there any
option in httpd.conf for handling the character conversion?

thank you

Roland

apache access to public_html directory of user with umlaut in his name

Post by Rod Smi » Sat, 07 Apr 2001 22:40:03

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Hi,
> I have some users here with umlaut-chars in their names like ??. I cannot change their names due to
> the NT-Domain Controller responsible for the user logons. Those users cannot connect to their
> public_html directory. I suppose this is due to the recoding of these special chars. Is there any
> option in httpd.conf for handling the character conversion?

I don't know about any Apache options, but if the only constraint on
changing the Linux usernames is for compatibility with Samba and the NT
network, you might look into the "username map" parameter to smb.conf.
This specifies a file that contains a mapping of Linux to NetBIOS
usernames. For instance:

neil = "Neil Simpson"
sally = "Sally Jones"

Then, when somebody enters the username "Sally Jones", Samba tries to
match the password against the Linux username "sally". I don't know how
this works with umlauts, but it might be worth a try.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux & multi-OS configuration

Post by Michael Heimin » Sun, 08 Apr 2001 03:57:07

> Hi,
> I have some users here with umlaut-chars in their names like ??. I cannot change their names due to
> the NT-Domain Controller responsible for the user logons. Those users cannot connect to their
> public_html directory. I suppose this is due to the recoding of these special chars. Is there any
> option in httpd.conf for handling the character conversion?

Puh, Umlaute are generally not allowed in an URL, may be you could try rewriting
the URL with mod_rewrite, but I would not be surprised if the request wouldn't
come as far as apache is rewriting it with mod_rewrite.

Please respond to this thread & mail, as I'm interested if this works...?

Good luck

Michael Heiming

apache access to public_html directory of user with umlaut in his name

Post by Josef Drexle » Sun, 08 Apr 2001 04:34:28

Sorry, Roland Hilkenbach, could you repeat that?  I wasn't paying attention:

Quote:> Hi,
> I have some users here with umlaut-chars in their names like ??. I cannot change their names due to
> the NT-Domain Controller responsible for the user logons. Those users cannot connect to their
> public_html directory. I suppose this is due to the recoding of these special chars. Is there any
> option in httpd.conf for handling the character conversion?
> thank you
> Roland

Have you tried encoding them with a % sign?

E.g., ? = %E4, ? = %F6, = %FC
(I hope I got these right)

For example try http://www.yourhost.com/~m%FCller/ for user "mller".

--
   Josef Drexler                 |    http://publish.uwo.ca/~jdrexler/
---------------------------------+----------------------------------------

1. Forbidden 403 access to users public_html directory

Hi,

I have installed apache 1.3.9 on RH6.1
My users directories are /home/users/* with a public_html directory within
the each users directory.
In the access.conf file, I added
    <Directory /home/users/*/public_html>
    Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    order allow,deny
    allow from all
    </Directory>

and in srm.conf the line

UserDir public_html

was already set.

Now, when I try to access http://host/~username I get the dreaded (or maybe
not dreaded) 403 forbidden. I have checked the logs with nothing of
relevance to point to this problem.
Also, this server is not public, therefore I am not too concerned about
security, but would stilll like to keep it as secure as possible.
Please help!
Thanks in advance

Alex

2. Career Opportunities:

3. Apache problem with Per-user Web Directories (public_html)

4. Fool requests help: compiling on Sol 2.4

5. Apache - accessing user (public_html) dir.

6. gs and Canon BJ10ex: Garbage

7. Can't access public_html directory

8. TCP/IP / Ethernet tracker

9. cant view a users public_html directory

10. User home pages using public_html not listing directories and local documentation

11. Tomcat 3.2 + Apache vs. "public_html" directories

12. Help with User Directories and public_html

13. Tomcat 3.2 + Apache vs. "public_html" directories