System doesn't find ETH0 at boot...suggestions please

System doesn't find ETH0 at boot...suggestions please

Post by Quiet Voi » Wed, 28 May 2003 05:53:53

Greetings:

I have two computers both running nearly identical dual boot set-ups
of Win NT4 and Suse Linux 6.2. Both came with ethernet cards that I've
never had an occassion to use until now.

I used the networking section of the control panel to configure the
networks for NT.

I used YaST to configure the networking aspects of the two machines
for linux.

The two machines can talk when both are booted into NT4.

The two machines mutally ping when the first is in Linux and the
second is in NT4.

The machines do not ping when the second machine is in Linux.

I ran ifconfig on the second machine and noticed that it only lists
the loopback connection.

When I rebooted the second machine, I noticed that there was a message
scrolling up the screen about it failing to find the SMZ ethernet
card.

Because the systems talk under NT, I am confident the hardware is
functioning properly.

Because the first machine works under linux, I'm pretty sure I used
YaST correctly for the set-up under linux.

Any suggestions on what I should do to investigate why the 2nd machine
isn't working under linux?

Any and all assistance appreciated!!

System doesn't find ETH0 at boot...suggestions please

Post by not your busines » Wed, 28 May 2003 14:54:20

Are they same network cards in each box? If not, try switching the cards.
Sounds like there may be a problem with the driver. SuSE 6.2... that's
starting to get age spots ;-)

> Greetings:

> I have two computers both running nearly identical dual boot set-ups
> of Win NT4 and Suse Linux 6.2. Both came with ethernet cards that I've
> never had an occassion to use until now.

> I used the networking section of the control panel to configure the
> networks for NT.

> I used YaST to configure the networking aspects of the two machines
> for linux.

> The two machines can talk when both are booted into NT4.

> The two machines mutally ping when the first is in Linux and the
> second is in NT4.

> The machines do not ping when the second machine is in Linux.

> I ran ifconfig on the second machine and noticed that it only lists
> the loopback connection.

> When I rebooted the second machine, I noticed that there was a message
> scrolling up the screen about it failing to find the SMZ ethernet
> card.

> Because the systems talk under NT, I am confident the hardware is
> functioning properly.

> Because the first machine works under linux, I'm pretty sure I used
> YaST correctly for the set-up under linux.

> Any suggestions on what I should do to investigate why the 2nd machine
> isn't working under linux?

> Any and all assistance appreciated!!

System doesn't find ETH0 at boot...suggestions please

Post by Quiet Voi » Wed, 28 May 2003 22:12:47

Quote:> Are they same network cards in each box? If not, try switching the cards.
> Sounds like there may be a problem with the driver.

Thanks for the response and suggestion. I hadn't considered drivers.
I'll have to check to see what card the other machine has. I doubt its
the same....but probably similar (both computers came from Gateway and
2 years apart....about 5 years ago).

Quote:> SuSE 6.2... that's
> starting to get age spots ;-)

Yeah, I loaded it on so that I'd have it to experiement with "when I
got around to it".....taken a bit longer than I anticipated! :-)

PS: If this does turn out ot be a driver problem, is there someplace I
can get a linux version of the appropriate driver?

Thanks again!

> > Greetings:

> > I have two computers both running nearly identical dual boot set-ups
> > of Win NT4 and Suse Linux 6.2. Both came with ethernet cards that I've
> > never had an occassion to use until now.

> > I used the networking section of the control panel to configure the
> > networks for NT.

> > I used YaST to configure the networking aspects of the two machines
> > for linux.

> > The two machines can talk when both are booted into NT4.

> > The two machines mutally ping when the first is in Linux and the
> > second is in NT4.

> > The machines do not ping when the second machine is in Linux.

> > I ran ifconfig on the second machine and noticed that it only lists
> > the loopback connection.

> > When I rebooted the second machine, I noticed that there was a message
> > scrolling up the screen about it failing to find the SMZ ethernet
> > card.

> > Because the systems talk under NT, I am confident the hardware is
> > functioning properly.

> > Because the first machine works under linux, I'm pretty sure I used
> > YaST correctly for the set-up under linux.

> > Any suggestions on what I should do to investigate why the 2nd machine
> > isn't working under linux?

> > Any and all assistance appreciated!!

System doesn't find ETH0 at boot...suggestions please

Post by Rober » Thu, 29 May 2003 00:01:22

Hi!

Quote:> > I have two computers both running nearly identical dual boot set-ups
> > of Win NT4 and Suse Linux 6.2. Both came with ethernet cards that I've
> > never had an occassion to use until now.

Open the case and take a look at which ethernet cards they are
(chipset is very usefull). Then search for Linux modules for those
chips and load them manually 'lsmod module_name' and run ifconfig to
bring up the interface.

Then post back what happened.

 Roberto

System doesn't find ETH0 at boot...suggestions please

Post by Kevin Natha » Thu, 29 May 2003 09:11:21

On 27 May 2003 08:01:22 -0700

> Open the case and take a look at which ethernet cards they are
> (chipset is very usefull). Then search for Linux modules for those
> chips and load them manually 'lsmod module_name' and run ifconfig to
> bring up the interface.

> Then post back what happened.

Or, run lspci (as root) and see if it gives any hardware info on the
nics -- might save a shutdown in the event you can't see the chip ID
while plugged in; and then again, maybe not! :-)

--
Kevin Nathan (Montana, USA)
Open standards. Open source. Open minds.

Linux 2.4.10-4GB
  6:10pm  up 20:28,  7 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.05, 0.00

System doesn't find ETH0 at boot...suggestions please

Post by not your busines » Thu, 29 May 2003 10:32:26

Quote:> PS: If this does turn out ot be a driver problem, is there someplace I
> can get a linux version of the appropriate driver?

If your looking for a new version of SuSE, you can download it via ftp
installation. Not as convenient as an ISO image but SuSE doesn't give you
that option.  I saw an article not too long ago at http://docs.linux.com
titled: How to do a FTP SuSE 8.2 install. Also, uou could download their
SuSE evaluation ISO to check things out.  Or you could download a Red Hat,
Debian or FreeBSD ISO and burn it, to name a few.  But all this assumes you
have more than a modem connection, of course. Otherwise, you could just
<gulp> go out and buy it (and help support future work).

1. suggestions on where to find bug in program that doesn't work with glibc2?

I just recently upgraded to glibc2 (I think it's finally working now
everybody.  Thanks to all who helped!) and I've found that my graphics
library seg. faults now.  I'm wondering if anybody could give me any
suggestions on why this might happen?  Anything that would work under
libc5 but not under glibc2?

My gdb output looks like the following:

(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/jeff/petal2/petal2
+pGuiPart::pGuiPart()
-pGuiPart::pGuiPart()
Petal version 2.0 running under Linux

0x4000d4d8 in __ti4Temp ()
(gdb) where
#0  0x4000d4d8 in __ti4Temp ()
#1  0x40005a90 in __ti4Temp ()
#2  0x4000be3c in __ti4Temp ()
#3  0x4000ba55 in __ti4Temp ()
#4  0x8048c1e in pInit (driver=0x804a2d7 "./x11.driver", argc=1,
    argv=0xbffffa80) at petal.cc:20
#5  0x8049ea5 in global constructors keyed to main () at test.cc:37

This doesn't make too much sense to me, but it seems that the error
occured in the contructor of a global object.  However, it occured after
pInit, which means it must occur in my dynamically linked in object.
This is strange, because that object doesn't have a constructor!  It's
derived from pGuiPart, and as you can see, the pGuiPart contructor
worked fine (the "-pGuiPart::pGuiPart" is the last output from that
function).

Thanks a lot,
Jeff

2. Is there a Cobol compiler for Linux?

3. Eth1 works but Eth0 doesn't, help please.

4. Diamond SupraExpress 56iV Pro modem

5. eth0 doesn't come up at boot (but does manually)

6. Help with Pascal on Linux

7. Linux doesn't find my hardware Please Help

8. Audio support for AOpen AW200

9. Doesn't find the CD-ROM, please help

10. whocalls doesn't always find system calls?

11. After running LILO linux doesn't find the boot drive anymore

12. Boot doesn't find the cdrom!!- only the floppy does!

13. My cdrom drive doesn't boot anymore : PLEASE HELP