How to force Linux detect 3Com509 Ethernet Card?

How to force Linux detect 3Com509 Ethernet Card?

Post by -ALLEN. » Tue, 20 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Hi, World,

I installed linux on my Pentium-90, and works fine so far. But network
doesn't work. Seems like the OS can not find the ethernet card. I have
PC-NFS run on the same PC, and it works. In linux, if I try to PING
somewhere, I just got repeated error messages. Could somebody give me
an idea how to let Linux konws there is a ethernet card? Thanks!

Please replay to:

Allen

Post by Terje Christens » Wed, 21 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>Hi, World,

>I installed linux on my Pentium-90, and works fine so far. But network
>doesn't work. Seems like the OS can not find the ethernet card. I have
>PC-NFS run on the same PC, and it works. In linux, if I try to PING
>somewhere, I just got repeated error messages. Could somebody give me
>an idea how to let Linux konws there is a ethernet card? Thanks!

>Please replay to:

>Allen

Hello
I'm having the same problem. When i installed the net.gz
disk i could see that Linux detected the 3c509 card by writing
eth0: ..address and IRQ
3c509.c: the name of the person who made the driver

I installed just the A and N disks and booted the PC, BUT now Linux
dosent detect the 3c509 card.

Please help.
.....................Terje

Post by aru.. » Wed, 21 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>   [2]Send email reply to author: -ALLEN.HE
>Hi, World,

>I installed linux on my Pentium-90, and works fine so far. But network
>doesn't work. Seems like the OS can not find the ethernet card. I have
>PC-NFS run on the same PC, and it works. In linux, if I try to PING
>somewhere, I just got repeated error messages. Could somebody give me
>an idea how to let Linux konws there is a ethernet card? Thanks!

>Please replay to:

>Allen

I recently posted a similar inquiry to .setup and .networking,
(regarding the compaq netflex) and read some latest HOWTO's and
other docs, and arrived at the following insights:

check if the kernel sees the card (var/adm/messages)

if you use Lilo, read up on the card (rtfm), find the mem
address and IRQ, and specify these as boot options:
"ether=IRQ,i/o_addr,dev" eg
ether=5,0x300,eth0

a complete description of this can be found in the latest
Ethernet-HOWTO,

any further insight is more than welcome!

bye now
algis rudys

Post by Tim Bas » Thu, 22 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: Hi, World,

: I installed linux on my Pentium-90, and works fine so far. But network
: doesn't work. Seems like the OS can not find the ethernet card. I have
: PC-NFS run on the same PC, and it works. In linux, if I try to PING
: somewhere, I just got repeated error messages. Could somebody give me
: an idea how to let Linux konws there is a ethernet card? Thanks!

: Please replay to:

: Allen

Mr Becker has a nice C program that allows you to set up the 5x9 series
3Com cards on his ftp server.  Works very well.

| Tim Bass                           | #include<campfire.h>                |
| Principal Network Systems Engineer |       for(beer=100;beer>1;beer++){  |
| The Silk Road Group, Ltd.          |           take_one_down();          |
|                                    |           pass_it_around();         |
| http://www.silkroad.com/           |       }                             |
|                                    |  back_to_work(); /*never reached */ |

Post by Jon Lewi » Fri, 23 Jun 1995 04:00:00

> check if the kernel sees the card (var/adm/messages)

You can also check the bootup messages by using shift-pageup or the dmesg
command.  If it's detected you'll have lines like this show up:

eth0: 3c509 at 0x300 tag 1, BNC port, address  00 20 af 10 cd 00, IRQ 10.

Quote:> if you use Lilo, read up on the card (rtfm), find the mem
> address and IRQ, and specify these as boot options:
> "ether=IRQ,i/o_addr,dev" eg
> ether=5,0x300,eth0

You can force it like this...but you shouldn't have to.  Make sure you
have no IRQ or i/o address conflicts and make sure you leave 0x100
free...that's used to detect the 3c509.

Also, it seems that if you install slackware 2.3, the kernel you get on
your hard disk will not support 3c509.  Either that, or I missed a
question in the install.  If this is the case, you'll just have to
install a kernel source form CD or whereever and make your own.

 Jon Lewis                      |  Mime attachments are OK

 http://inorganic5.chem.ufl.edu |  unsolicited huge files.

Post by Cameron L. Spitz » Sat, 24 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>Hello
>I'm having the same problem. When i installed the net.gz
>disk i could see that Linux detected the 3c509 card by writing
>eth0: ..address and IRQ
>3c509.c: the name of the person who made the driver

The kernel on net.gz has a 3c509 driver compiled in.

Quote:>I installed just the A and N disks and booted the PC, BUT now Linux
>dosent detect the 3c509 card.

The kernel on the A disk doesn't, evidently.
If you still have the net.gz file that was rawwritten to the
floppy, try gunzipping it and installing it with lilo.
Or even better, get the current D disks and install a fresh kernel
with only the drivers you need in it.

Cameron

How to force Linux detect 3Com509 Ethernet Card?

Post by dlefg.. » Sun, 25 Jun 1995 04:00:00

i have a generic ethernet card...  when you install linux using without prompts and the A series,
and you have an ide setup, it goes ahead and installs the scsi setup too
which then didnt find my card... (the ide kernel is installed first, then it goes ahead and installs the scsi kernel on top of it...)

this may be the problem in many cases... i then reinstalled the A series, with prompts, and skipped over ths SCSI kernelsupport, and it works fine now...e

Post by david roma » Mon, 26 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: Mr Becker has a nice C program that allows you to set up the 5x9 series
: 3Com cards on his ftp server.  Works very well.

Could you please email me or post the ftp address & directory & name if you
have them to get this program...

How to force Linux detect 3Com509 Ethernet Card?

Post by Steve Roj » Sat, 22 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: >
: >Hi, World,
: >
[...]

Me too!

--
----------------
Steve Rojem                      "Get Smart!  Play KAOS"

How to force Linux detect 3Com509 Ethernet Card?

Post by Trez Dabb » Sat, 22 Jul 1995 04:00:00

You guys have the A or B rev card?

How to force Linux detect 3Com509 Ethernet Card?

Post by Miles Lot » Sat, 22 Jul 1995 04:00:00

See my post on this.  There is an updated driver, ver 1.07, which may
fix this for you.  It did for me.

Post by Nabil Saad (GI » Tue, 25 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: You guys have the A or B rev card?

Hello,
        linux will l recognize the 3com 509 card and the drivers is
excellent. Just do the following recompile the kernel for full card
support. THan use the ifconfig utility to take up the Ethernet interface
Man ifconfig should be of great help ....

                                If you still have problems mail-me

Nabil, Having a hard time pushing linux to|#|  .... Linux 1.3 ....
its limits. Funny enough.....   it doesn't|#|  it will bring fun back
seem to have any :))).  BRAVO EVERYBODY !!|#|      to computing

How to force Linux detect 3Com509 Ethernet Card?

Post by Zot » Tue, 25 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Since you are using a Pentium...

You must diable the plugNplay features of the card On the disk with the
dos network drivers there is a program pnpdsabl.bat, run it, and it
will diable the PnP stuff.

I went through several cards, that worked on a 386 bit not the Pentium...
--
Later,

Home Page:   http://www.crl.com/~zot/home.html
Improv Page: http://www.crl.com/~zot/improv.html