Samba trouble

Post by Arunabha Shah » Thu, 20 Dec 2001 15:12:32

Hello everybody,

I'm running RedHat 7.1 at home.  I've configured samba, and the Linux
machine appears in my windows network, however I cannot access the machine.
I get a message saying that I am not authorized to access the machine.  I'm
using WinblowsXP to try and access the samba server.  I've added users into
the smbpasswd file, and I've allowed all the machines in my house to access
the machines, in the smb.conf file.  But I'm still having this problem.  Any
help would be GREATLY appreciated.

--
Arun
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."

Samba trouble

Post by nokom » Thu, 20 Dec 2001 18:34:26

Hi

I had the samme problem and it was because i had installed (linux do
default) firewall. you need some script that help you through firewall.

NOKOMO

Quote:> Hello everybody,

> I'm running RedHat 7.1 at home.  I've configured samba, and the Linux
> machine appears in my windows network, however I cannot access the
machine.
> I get a message saying that I am not authorized to access the machine.
I'm
> using WinblowsXP to try and access the samba server.  I've added users
into
> the smbpasswd file, and I've allowed all the machines in my house to
access
> the machines, in the smb.conf file.  But I'm still having this problem.
Any
> help would be GREATLY appreciated.

> --
> Arun
> "Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."
>          --Hector Berlioz

Samba trouble

Post by Dean Thompso » Thu, 20 Dec 2001 20:52:47

Hi!,

Quote:> Hello everybody,

> I'm running RedHat 7.1 at home.  I've configured samba, and the Linux
> machine appears in my windows network, however I cannot access the machine.
> I get a message saying that I am not authorized to access the machine.  I'm
> using WinblowsXP to try and access the samba server.  I've added users into
> the smbpasswd file, and I've allowed all the machines in my house to access
> the machines, in the smb.conf file.  But I'm still having this problem.
> Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Check that you are allowing TCP/UDP traffic in on ports 137:139 on your
machine from a firewall perspective.  For the default install of Redhat 7.1
take a look at the output of the ipchains -L -n command.

Additionally, check to make sure that you have either allowed "encrypt
passwords = yes" in the smb.conf file or that you have applied the plain
password registry patch to the XP machine.

If you are stuck for the right firewall rules, then do a search on google.com
with the keywords: "ipchains SAMBA firewall rules".

See ya

Dean Thompson

Samba trouble

Post by Arunabha Shah » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 02:10:33

Thanks very much, I had to change my default firewall settings, and I set
"encrypt passwords" to yes.  This seems to have solved the problem.  Again,
thank you very much...
--
Arun
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."
         --Hector Berlioz

Quote:

> Hi!,

> > Hello everybody,

> > I'm running RedHat 7.1 at home.  I've configured samba, and the Linux
> > machine appears in my windows network, however I cannot access the
machine.
> > I get a message saying that I am not authorized to access the machine.
I'm
> > using WinblowsXP to try and access the samba server.  I've added users
into
> > the smbpasswd file, and I've allowed all the machines in my house to
access
> > the machines, in the smb.conf file.  But I'm still having this problem.
> > Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

> Check that you are allowing TCP/UDP traffic in on ports 137:139 on your
> machine from a firewall perspective.  For the default install of Redhat
7.1
> take a look at the output of the ipchains -L -n command.

> Additionally, check to make sure that you have either allowed "encrypt
> passwords = yes" in the smb.conf file or that you have applied the plain
> password registry patch to the XP machine.

> If you are stuck for the right firewall rules, then do a search on
google.com
> with the keywords: "ipchains SAMBA firewall rules".

> See ya

> Dean Thompson

> --

> | Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180
|
> | PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>
|
> | School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)
|
> | MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077
|
> | Melbourne, Australia       |

Samba trouble

Post by John Smit » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 11:40:57

It did not solve mine. Samba keeps asking for a password. I just want
everybody to be able to acceses most files on my linux (test) machine. Maybe
I'd like to protect SOME folders...

But then again, I totally messed up my configuration files.
My firewall did not seem to be set. (all policies were set to ACCEPT)

Could one of you attach or include working config files (all files from te
samba folder)
I'd love to have a starting point...

BTW my email address is b w k e m p s  AT hotmail.

Thanks!!

> Thanks very much, I had to change my default firewall settings, and I set
> "encrypt passwords" to yes.  This seems to have solved the problem.
Again,
> thank you very much...
> --
> Arun
> "Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."
>          --Hector Berlioz

> > Hi!,

> > > Hello everybody,

> > > I'm running RedHat 7.1 at home.  I've configured samba, and the Linux
> > > machine appears in my windows network, however I cannot access the
> machine.
> > > I get a message saying that I am not authorized to access the machine.
> I'm
> > > using WinblowsXP to try and access the samba server.  I've added users
> into
> > > the smbpasswd file, and I've allowed all the machines in my house to
> access
> > > the machines, in the smb.conf file.  But I'm still having this
problem.
> > > Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

> > Check that you are allowing TCP/UDP traffic in on ports 137:139 on your
> > machine from a firewall perspective.  For the default install of Redhat
> 7.1
> > take a look at the output of the ipchains -L -n command.

> > Additionally, check to make sure that you have either allowed "encrypt
> > passwords = yes" in the smb.conf file or that you have applied the plain
> > password registry patch to the XP machine.

> > If you are stuck for the right firewall rules, then do a search on
> google.com
> > with the keywords: "ipchains SAMBA firewall rules".

> > See ya

> > Dean Thompson

> > --

Quote:> > | Dean Thompson              | E-mail  -

Quote:> |
> > | Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180
> |
> > | PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>
> |
> > | School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)
> |
> > | MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077
> |
> > | Melbourne, Australia       |

Samba trouble

Post by Dean Thompso » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 23:04:32

Hi!,

Quote:> It did not solve mine. Samba keeps asking for a password. I just want
> everybody to be able to acceses most files on my linux (test) machine.
> Maybe I'd like to protect SOME folders...

Have the user accounts been added to the smbpasswd file using the smbpasswd
command?, what do you have set as your security option in your smb.conf file
at the moment ?

See ya

Dean Thompson

Samba trouble

Post by Jason » Tue, 01 Jan 2002 00:54:56

Hi john,
   just one thing to remind... have you set encyrpt password = yes?
   and moreover, how is your security configuration look like? just like
share or user level?
   remember to create all account you need in your linux machine.
   and one thing: if you have to map user or map password from win to linux,
remember to set smbpasswd, smbusers (i cannot remember to real name, check
man smb.conf)

  hope it helps u.

Yours sincerely,
JasonX

> It did not solve mine. Samba keeps asking for a password. I just want
> everybody to be able to acceses most files on my linux (test) machine.
Maybe
> I'd like to protect SOME folders...

> But then again, I totally messed up my configuration files.
> My firewall did not seem to be set. (all policies were set to ACCEPT)

> Could one of you attach or include working config files (all files from te
> samba folder)
> I'd love to have a starting point...

> BTW my email address is b w k e m p s  AT hotmail.

> Thanks!!

> > Thanks very much, I had to change my default firewall settings, and I
set
> > "encrypt passwords" to yes.  This seems to have solved the problem.
> Again,
> > thank you very much...
> > --
> > Arun
> > "Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."
> >          --Hector Berlioz

> > > Hi!,

Linux
> > machine.
> > I'm
> > into
> > access
> problem.

> > > Check that you are allowing TCP/UDP traffic in on ports 137:139 on
your
> > > machine from a firewall perspective.  For the default install of
Redhat
> > 7.1
> > > take a look at the output of the ipchains -L -n command.

> > > Additionally, check to make sure that you have either allowed "encrypt
> > > passwords = yes" in the smb.conf file or that you have applied the
plain
> > > password registry patch to the XP machine.

> > > If you are stuck for the right firewall rules, then do a search on
> > google.com
> > > with the keywords: "ipchains SAMBA firewall rules".

> > > See ya

> > > Dean Thompson

> > > --

> > > | Melbourne, Australia       |

1. Samba trouble...

I'm attempting to get Samba running on one of my boxes.  It seems as
though the smbd daemon is not starting.  When I check the log.smb file,
I see an error message that reads 'bind failed on port 139
socket_addr=0.0.0.0 (Address is already in use)'.  Being a newbie and
all, I'm a little lost as to what this means.  I'm assuming that 0.0.0.0
translates to the loopback address because when I ping it, the machine
gets a reply back from 127.0.0.1.  FYI, the web server is not running.
How do I find out what process is using this port?

  dasumner.vcf
< 1K Download

2. core dump analysis

3. samba troubles

4. Promise promises

5. samba troubles (password related ?)

6. Again on the same warning Solaris 9

7. SAMBA Trouble

8. compat1x and compat20 failed during install - HELP

9. Samba - trouble with domains

10. Samba troubles

11. Samba Trouble With Win2K

12. samba troubles