Ethernet Advice Sought

Post by Todd Graham Lewi » Fri, 05 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Does anyone have any opinions concerning which ISA ethernet card model
gives the greatest bps output with normal (i.e., ->100%) reliability?

Of course you do.  Would you mind sharing?

(This is for a personal project, hence the ISA requirement.)

My initial impression would be 3c509 or an SMC card, but I'd like to hear
others' opinions.  If you could cc: me any replies, I'd be appreciative.

Todd Graham Lewis        Core Engineering      Mindspring Enterprises

1. ISA Ethernet card advice sought

I am going to inherit an old 486 machine with no ethernet card.  I'd like
to set this machine up to be the IP Masquerading gateway and PPP demand
dial machine for my little 3 machine network.  I am new (only at it for
about 3 months now) to Linux and PCs, so I would appreciate some advice on
what ethernet card to get.  Following a link on the Linux homepage, I
found 3Com <http://www.3com.com/> and their 3C509B-TPO (RJ-45 connector
only) ISA ethernet card.  Is this a good/OK/bad card to get?  Thanks!

|  "The 12 gauge double barreled Remington.  S-Mart's top of the     |
|   line.  Its got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair     |
|   trigger.  That's right, shop smart, shop . . . S-Mart."          |
|                                     - Ash, "Army of Darkness"      |

2. kvm_open() in EP/IX ?

3. Seeking Ethernet Card Purchase Advice

4. Freeciv permissions server/client

5. RH6 Ethernet Setup (another newbie seeking expert advice)

6. Need a source for Sun hardware?

7. Advice sought: seeking archival storage system for Linux

8. ppp advice

9. Newbie seeks advice?

10. Advice Sought: Is this a good system for linux?

11. Linux newbie seeks hardware advice

12. Linux and BBS setup -- Advice sought

13. Newbie seeking advice for a server