3com Impact IQ ISDN modem and Linux: it doesn't work well, anybody know why?

3com Impact IQ ISDN modem and Linux: it doesn't work well, anybody know why?

Post by Jeff Silverma » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi, I have a LAN with 3 Windoze/95 machines and 2 Windoze/98 machines
connected to a Linux RH 5.1 (2.0.34 Kernel) machine which connects to a
3Com Impact IQ ISDN modem which in turn connects to an ISP.  The modem
works tolerably well in the evening and the middle of the night, but it
is unreliable to the point of uselessness during the day time.  U.S.
West, the local TELCO, stuck an analyzer on the line and (I am getting
this third hand so take it with a grain of salt) I am running 3.1
Kbits/sec analog instead of 115 Kbits/sec digital.  All of the machines
can access the web once the connection is up, so I assume that IP
masquerading and IP routing are done correctly; and if we use a 56 Kbit
modem instead of the ISDN modem, everything works fine, too; so I am
fairly confident the problem is the setup of our modem.  Also, if we use
the ISDN modem with Windows/95, the way 3Com intended it to be used, it
seems to run like the wind.

I've surfed 3Com's website.  3Com is a very technically savy company -
why don't they support Linux or at least give us the technical
information we need to work this stuff out?

Anybody have any advice?

Many thanks,

Jeff

3com Impact IQ ISDN modem and Linux: it doesn't work well, anybody know why?

Post by David Heinzinge » Sun, 14 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I have a working Impactiq TA with linux.  Here is my configuration
http://www.cl.ais.net/mrroper1/aislinux.html

--
Dave.

3com Impact IQ ISDN modem and Linux: it doesn't work well, anybody know why?

Post by lma.. » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi, I have a LAN with 3 Windoze/95 machines and 2 Windoze/98 machines
>connected to a Linux RH 5.1 (2.0.34 Kernel) machine which connects to a
>3Com Impact IQ ISDN modem which in turn connects to an ISP.  The modem
>works tolerably well in the evening and the middle of the night, but it
>is unreliable to the point of uselessness during the day time.  U.S.
>West, the local TELCO, stuck an analyzer on the line and (I am getting
>this third hand so take it with a grain of salt) I am running 3.1
>Kbits/sec analog instead of 115 Kbits/sec digital.

Coming in a little late on this one, but I think the key is that you are
making the calls with 3.1 KHz Bearer Capability.  (3Com calls this "Toll
Mizer".  Turn it OFF!)  During the evening, when there are lots of trunks
around, you get a good one, but during the day you get shunted off on
something that has impairments that clobber your data; echo cancellation,
digital pad, or something.

Laurence V. Marks
IBM Corp. - Research Triangle Park, NC

3com Impact IQ ISDN modem and Linux: it doesn't work well, anybody know why?

Post by Cameron Spitze » Thu, 18 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>I've surfed 3Com's website.  3Com is a very technically savy company -
>why don't they support Linux or at least give us the technical
>information we need to work this stuff out?

I believe a certain high ranking 3Com executive believes publically
supporting Linux would be too risky to 3Com's relationship
with Microsoft.

I believe 3Com considered participating in SSC's "Cool it works with
Linux" logo program, and decided not to because they didn't want
the burden of answering Linux-related tech support calls, even before
fear of Microsoft's retaliation came into the picture.

FWIW, my Linux system got the full 128K throught an Impact IQ,
with a USR "Total Control" RA box at the other end.  I was telecommuting.
128K was tedious to use Signalscan.  Synopsis Design Analyzer
worked great.  Lotus Notes Client for Solaris was utterly unusable,
taking 15 seconds or more to echo a keystroke.

Cameron
(I don't speak for 3Com.  Don't even work there any more.)

1. Howto Multilink with 3com Impact IQ ISDN modem

Does anybody have any experience in getting ISDN on a 3com impact IQ to do
multilink PPP?  I can establish a single barrier connection under linux but
not dual.  I can however establish the dual under win95 so I know that it is
a Linux problem or config of some sort.

Help in Ann Arbor!?

Keith Elder

2. Can only log in as root

3. 3Com Impact IQ ISDN Modem!

4. Restricted filesystem

5. Absulutely can't get multi-link in 3Com Impact IQ ISDN adapter..

6. OpenBSD on a PPC

7. 3Com Impact IQ ISDN and LINUX

8. 1.1.59 hangs, earlier version Kernel panic

9. 3Com Impact IQ ISDN under Red Hat Linux?

10. ISDN problem w/ 3Com Impact IQ, Red Hat 5.0 (More info)

11. 3Com Impact IQ ISDN TA

12. question - setup ISDN 3com Impact IQ - Redhat 5.1

13. Help w/ 3Com ISDN Impact IQ Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation