Proxy firewall Antivirus

Post by requ.. » Mon, 01 May 2006 04:26:29

A friend of mine is having an issue with computers on his network
receiving viruses, and the users disabling the anti virus. This is a
home network of about 4 machines, and we have been planning on setting
up a linux firewall to better secure the network before it hits the
router anyway. What I am wondering about is if anyone knows of a free
linux antivirus that will scan incomming (and preferably outgoing)
network traffic for viruses. I know the easiest solution is putting an
antivirus on each machine, but they quickly get turned off or deleted.
If anyone has an option in mind I would appreciate it.

Thanks
RS

Proxy firewall Antivirus

Post by Robert Harri » Mon, 01 May 2006 06:47:51

> A friend of mine is having an issue with computers on his network
> receiving viruses, and the users disabling the anti virus. This is a
> home network of about 4 machines, and we have been planning on setting
> up a linux firewall to better secure the network before it hits the
> router anyway. What I am wondering about is if anyone knows of a free
> linux antivirus that will scan incomming (and preferably outgoing)
> network traffic for viruses. I know the easiest solution is putting an
> antivirus on each machine, but they quickly get turned off or deleted.
> If anyone has an option in mind I would appreciate it.

> Thanks
> RS

I use ClamAV <http://www.clamav.net/>

Robert

Proxy firewall Antivirus

Post by requ.. » Mon, 01 May 2006 07:02:38

Does ClamAV check the data as it flows through the network? Or only
once it has completed downloading?

Proxy firewall Antivirus

Post by sal paradis » Mon, 01 May 2006 09:45:36

You probably want an IDS like Snort
http://www.snort.org/about_snort/faq/faq.html#1.1

Proxy firewall Antivirus

Post by Robert Harri » Mon, 01 May 2006 16:31:36

> Does ClamAV check the data as it flows through the network? Or only
> once it has completed downloading?

My mail server (exim4) filters all messages through it.

Proxy firewall Antivirus

Post by Davide D » Mon, 01 May 2006 21:53:58

Quote:> A friend of mine is having an issue with computers on his network
> receiving viruses, and the users disabling the anti virus. This is a
> home network of about 4 machines, and we have been planning on setting
> up a linux firewall to better secure the network before it hits the
> router anyway. What I am wondering about is if anyone knows of a free
> linux antivirus that will scan incomming (and preferably outgoing)
> network traffic for viruses. I know the easiest solution is putting an
> antivirus on each machine, but they quickly get turned off or deleted.
> If anyone has an option in mind I would appreciate it.

> Thanks
> RS

Hi, you may consider using HAVP:
http://www.server-side.de/features.htm

Bye.

--
Davide DG.
tieni per te la spam per rispondermi via email.

Proxy firewall Antivirus

Post by Rosco » Tue, 02 May 2006 01:58:21

> A friend of mine is having an issue with computers on his network
> receiving viruses, and the users disabling the anti virus. This is a
> home network of about 4 machines, and we have been planning on setting
> up a linux firewall to better secure the network before it hits the
> router anyway. What I am wondering about is if anyone knows of a free
> linux antivirus that will scan incomming (and preferably outgoing)

http://www.server-side.de/features.htm
You need ClamAV already installed for this proxy though..