tape backup across linux network

Post by Tam H » Thu, 04 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hi all,

What's the best way to perform a backup, using one SCSI DAT
drive on a machine, to back up several linux networked machines?

I'm currently nfs-mounting the directories which i want to back
up onto the machine with the tape drive, and then tarring the
nfs mounted dirs onto tape.  But this is WAY too slow (it's written
about 450 mb in the past hour... I need to back up 4.7 gigs!).

Are there better ways to do this?  Thanks!

-tam

tape backup across linux network

Post by Jan Vachu » Fri, 05 Sep 1997 04:00:00

This is a cryptographically signed message in MIME format.

--------------msE9192BC26983BF639922EC38

> Hi all,

> What's the best way to perform a backup, using one SCSI DAT
> drive on a machine, to back up several linux networked machines?

> I'm currently nfs-mounting the directories which i want to back
> up onto the machine with the tape drive, and then tarring the
> nfs mounted dirs onto tape.  But this is WAY too slow (it's written
> about 450 mb in the past hour... I need to back up 4.7 gigs!).

> Are there better ways to do this?  Thanks!

> -tam

  You can try Caldera Backup Utility. It is part of Caldera Network
Desktop
distribution of Linux. The code was licensed by Caldera from MTI.
For more info before you buy see
http://www.mti.com/SOFTWARE/Unix/backnet.htm
or contact Caldera  http://www.caldera.com.

Jan

--------------msE9192BC26983BF639922EC38

<encoded_portion_removed>

Post by James Youngma » Fri, 05 Sep 1997 04:00:00

  Tam> Hi all,

  Tam> What's the best way to perform a backup, using one SCSI DAT
  Tam> drive on a machine, to back up several linux networked
  Tam> machines?

Amanda.
http://www.cs.umd.edu/projects/amanda/

Some distributions have this in package form.

1. error doing tape backup across network

Hi all

I'm trying to backup files mounted on an smb share to tape using the
following command....

tar zcvf /dev/st0 /dir/name/and/so/on

bit as its archiving I keep getting the following error.

tar: ./xerox/files/xdisk_32/XDisk32.exe: file changed as we read it

I asume its windows scanning the dir or something like this.
Can anyone tell me how to prevent this problem.

Cheers
Alex

2. No root login possible on su/console

3. Tape backup across network

4. unlock a locked screen from the consol

5. Copy from tape device to tape device across the network

6. DNS - question

7. One backup across multiple tape devices

8. SoundBlaster setup

9. Tape backup across systems

10. Backup across network using cpio

11. Using SCOadmin to do backups across a network

12. How do you backup root files across a network?

13. backup across network