IP Masq Linux to Win95 Almost Working

Post by Nova.. » Wed, 20 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I am using a Linux box to access an internet connection and share it
with a win95 box.  The problem now is that sometimes the win95 box is
unable to access a web site.  I receive a message stating it could
find the Domain Name.  The Linux box has no problem at all access the
web site.  I have tried both Netscape V3 and IE V3 on the Win95 box
with the same result.

I have tried nslookup without being on the net and using IP forwarding
and don't get the linux box showing the proper DNS info!  Could this
be the problem?

Thanks in advance,

- Kelly H

IP Masq Linux to Win95 Almost Working

Post by tzang » Thu, 21 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I am using a Linux box to access an internet connection and share it
>with a win95 box.  The problem now is that sometimes the win95 box is
>unable to access a web site.  I receive a message stating it could
>find the Domain Name.  The Linux box has no problem at all access the
>web site.  I have tried both Netscape V3 and IE V3 on the Win95 box
>with the same result.

I set up a masquerading Linux box for our 15 office employees (all on
win95) and haven't had any problems whatsoever.  the "Can't find site"
error you get I have seen on regular win95 dialups.  I just try again
right away and it will 99% of the time work fine.  Glitches, I
suppose.

TZ

1. IP Masq Win95 To Linux No Work

Hi. I new to linux and find it quite interesting. I have read all the
FAQs and HOW-TOs that I thought could help me share  a Linux box's
internet connection with a Win95 machine.  I am having a problem
getting the Win95 Internet Explorer V3.03 (IE)  to see the internet
either by entering the domain name or the IP address.
        - Using Redhat Linux Version 4,.2
        - The Linux box's IP is 192.168.1.1
        - The in95 box's IP is 192.168.1.2
        -  I can ping and telnet to and from the Linux Box .
        -  I can access the internet on the Linux box..
        - There is a host file on the Win95 machine.
        - IE is set to use the proxy setting with HTTP at
        192.168.1.1:80.
        When I enter the domain name or address I get the following
        message from IE - BAD REQUEST.  your brower sent a query that
        server could not understand.

I would appreciate  your help.
Thank's in advance.

Kelly Hanna

2. solaris ppp prob?

3. IP Masq: Win95 -> linux -> internet - Problem solved!

4. telnet from Dos to Unix

5. win95->linux(gateway)->isdn->internet (ip-masq question?)

6. Xterm writing to /etc/utmp failing...

7. Win95 => Linux => Internet via IP-Masq - Any thoughts?

8. catch sda1 or /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0

9. Linux works for ip masq with windows but not Linux

10. Masq & diald work....almost

11. IP Masq'd Workstation to connect to IP Masq'd Workstation

12. IP Masq - Specify IP to Masq as?

13. IP Masq (works) and ICQ (!@#$% doesn't work)