Virus scanning mail server for BSD or Linux

Virus scanning mail server for BSD or Linux

Post by Tom Jobbin » Tue, 18 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm running a small ISP, currently using entirely FreeBSD 3.1 servers.  We
use Sendmail 8.9.2 for mail.

We would like to add the facility for virus checking of all email that goes
in and out of our servers.  I've looked into this and found several
SMTP-based products for Windows NT, and a couple for Solaris, but I can't
find any that would run on my current FreeBSD servers.  The nearest I've
found is a product for SCO - which I believe FreeBSD can emulate - however I
dont know if this emulation would be good enough for a production server.

I'd be very surprised if there were any products that support FreeBSD
natively, but of course I can run BSDi and Linux binaries fairly easily
through emulation (and I have succesfully used binaries like this on
production servers without problems; the emulation seems excellent).

If needs be, I could even install a stand alone Linux server, e.g. if
there's a product that works under Linux but wont run (well) under
emulation.  But I really dont want to have to install a NT server for this
(I'd love to install a Sparc server running Solaris.. but couldnt justify
the cost yet)

If anyone knows of any products or solutions that would work, then I would
be most appreciative.

Thanks,

Tom

Post by Brad Knowl » Tue, 18 May 1999 04:00:00

> If anyone knows of any products or solutions that would work, then I would
> be most appreciative.

    Check out <http://satan.oih.rwth-aachen.de/AMaViS/>.  This appears to
be a front-end to several anti-virus scanners and specifically mentions
that it will run under Linux.  However, I suspect that it's offered in
source code, and probably would compile and run just fine under FreeBSD.
If not, it should at least be able to run in Linux emulation under
FreeBSD.

--

    <http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE38CCEF1>

Are you looking for a news feed from a site in the Freenix Top 130?
If so, contact me via private e-mail for details.

Virus scanning mail server for BSD or Linux

Post by Ross S. W. Walke » Tue, 18 May 1999 04:00:00

McAfee has a virus scanner for Linux. Look at their site in detail.

-Ross Walker

Quote:> Hi,

> I'm running a small ISP, currently using entirely FreeBSD 3.1
servers.  We
> use Sendmail 8.9.2 for mail.

> We would like to add the facility for virus checking of all email
that goes
> in and out of our servers.  I've looked into this and found several
> SMTP-based products for Windows NT, and a couple for Solaris, but I
can't
> find any that would run on my current FreeBSD servers.  The nearest
I've
> found is a product for SCO - which I believe FreeBSD can emulate -
however I
> dont know if this emulation would be good enough for a production
server.

> I'd be very surprised if there were any products that support
FreeBSD
> natively, but of course I can run BSDi and Linux binaries fairly
easily
> through emulation (and I have succesfully used binaries like this on
> production servers without problems; the emulation seems excellent).

> If needs be, I could even install a stand alone Linux server, e.g.
if
> there's a product that works under Linux but wont run (well) under
> emulation.  But I really dont want to have to install a NT server
for this
> (I'd love to install a Sparc server running Solaris.. but couldnt
justify
> the cost yet)

> If anyone knows of any products or solutions that would work, then I
would
> be most appreciative.

> Thanks,

> Tom

Virus scanning mail server for BSD or Linux

Post by Dirk Frees » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

Dear Tom,

take a look at
ftp://ftp.rubyriver.com/pub/jhardin/antispam/procmail-security.html.
They have links covering te topic you're looking for.
Near the bottom of the page there's a section called "Filtering Email for
Security" which deals with what you're looking for.

Yours,
Dirk

--
the electrons used to transmit this message were not mistreated or harmed in any
way. This message was made using only 100% recycled electrons.

Virus scanning mail server for BSD or Linux

Post by Alan Broderic » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

Hello

There are native FreeBSD and Linux versions of Sophos Anti-Virus.

Alan
Sophos Plc

Quote:>We would like to add the facility for virus checking of all email that goes
>in and out of our servers.  I've looked into this and found several
>SMTP-based products for Windows NT, and a couple for Solaris, but I can't
>find any that would run on my current FreeBSD servers

1. Going from WinNT to Linux - Mail server virus scanning

I will soon be replacing a WinNT box with Linux. (30 network users)
One facility on the NT box that works real well is the pop3/smtp email
server and virus scanning.
On the NT box:
   1. pop3/smtp email server - IMail from
http://www.ipswitch.com/products/IMail_Server/index.html
   2. gateway - Declude Virus from http://www.declude.com/Virus/index.html
   3. virus scanner - F-Prot from http://www.f-prot.com/index2.html

This is the one part of the NT system that I am reluctant to replace - it
works real well. All incoming email and attachments are scanned for viruses
and quantined. I get about 3 automatic emails from the site saying it caught
something.
Declude is nice cuz it coordinates the virus checking. It calls F-Prot and,
if F-Prot says the email has a virus, Declude quarantines it and sends
emails to: the sender, the recipient, the system admin person and me.

On the Linux box I think I can still use F-Prot for virus protection cuz
they say they have a Linux version.

Question:
1. What is good gateway software that provides the functionality of Declude
Virus?
2. And what is good email pop3 (and maybe imap4) software?

Thanks
Archie Campbell

2. Thanks To Chris

3. VIRUS ALERT- Linux/*BSD honour virus found

4. Tcsh Prompt

5. RS 6000 PROBLEME

6. Samba server and virus scanning on Linux

7. Problem with Printer Logging and AUthentication

8. Mail-Virus-Scanning

9. How safe is this: Automatic scanning of mails for virus (LONG)

10. outgoing mail virus scan

11. Scanning SMTP mail for virus

12. virus scanning software for file servers?