Netscape "TCP error: No route to host" w/ Red Hat 6.0

Netscape "TCP error: No route to host" w/ Red Hat 6.0

Post by Michael Fishe » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi Folks,

I just installed Red Hat 6.0 on my PC in the last few days, and have
been impressed with the advances that have been made since 5.2. Except
for one. 8(

I completely rebuilt this machine, including formatting the hard drives
before I loaded the new version because I wanted to make sure that I did
not have any conflicts with 5.2.

Anyway, everything seems to work well, except for something is wrong
with my TCP or PPP setup, because now when I hook up to my ISP I can
only reach a few different sites (not always the same ones, either) and
on all the rest I get the Netscape popup that says "TCP error: No route
to host".  There doesn't appear to be any problem with the DNS, Netscape
just says "Contacting host ..." until the popup. I have never seen this
one before now.

I don't know if this is related, but I am not able to telnet into the
machine over my network now either.

Thanks,

Mike Fisher

Netscape "TCP error: No route to host" w/ Red Hat 6.0

Post by Brian Schwar » Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I've experienced the same problem, but haven't had time to track it down
yet.

Brian

Post by Yonatan Zunge » Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Hi Folks,

> I just installed Red Hat 6.0 on my PC in the last few days, and have
> been impressed with the advances that have been made since 5.2. Except
> for one. 8(

> I completely rebuilt this machine, including formatting the hard drives
> before I loaded the new version because I wanted to make sure that I did
> not have any conflicts with 5.2.

> Anyway, everything seems to work well, except for something is wrong
> with my TCP or PPP setup, because now when I hook up to my ISP I can
> only reach a few different sites (not always the same ones, either) and
> on all the rest I get the Netscape popup that says "TCP error: No route
> to host".  There doesn't appear to be any problem with the DNS, Netscape
> just says "Contacting host ..." until the popup. I have never seen this
> one before now.

> I don't know if this is related, but I am not able to telnet into the
> machine over my network now either.

> Thanks,

They're related. Routing is the elaborate process by which messages are
forwarded to a target host along a chain of ten or twenty intermediate
locations. The automatic generation of routing paths is sometimes kinda
flaky.

The best thing to do for this is to do the first step in the routing
manually. Call up your ISP or local sysadmin and ask them for the IP
number of your gateway server. Then you can explicitly specify this as
the default first step in a route by sticking a line at the end of your
rc.local file

route add default gw FOO

(FOO = the address) There's actually a cleaner way to do this involving
a file called "static-routes", but I can't remember the details...

If the routing works when you first start up your machine but then stops
after a few seconds/minutes, then you should turn off the gated and
routed daemons; they try to automatically construct routing tables every
few seconds or so, but occasionally they completely mess up and stomp
your tables. If you turn them off you will need to put in the static
routing information like above.

Hope this helps -

Yonatan

> Mike Fisher

1. Red Hat 6.0 install errors: "Install bootloader"

        After multiple attempts on multiple systems trying to install
RH 60 I'm FRUSTRATED!!! :-( Tried 2 different CD burns as well as on 2
seperate systems with same results so I assume it's something I'm
missing here?

 All goes fine untill I get to where it attempts to install boot
options then I get the following error:

=======

An error occured during step "Install bootloader" of the  install.

You may retry that step, return to the previous step in the
install, or see a menu of installation steps,,,,

=======

 I tried to go ahead & also get error when trying to creat a boot
floppy. Can anyone lend a hand here?

 Oh, one of the 2 systems installed Mandrake 5.3 just fine right after
this.

2. Minicom on RH 7.3 and connection to Solaris

3. Red Hat 5.9 and 6.0 "bus error"

4. Applixware and Linux Authors

5. What does TCP/IP error "No route to host" mean?

6. Q:Screen Machine II

7. "Official" Red Hat vs. Red Hat

8. - Socket Wi-Fi WLAN Drivers

10. Red Hat 5.1 install error: "error 2"

11. Warning: Red Hat 6.0 Upgrade: changed "locate"

12. "Novell-like","non-TCP/IP","networking" OS to place Unix

13. How do you do a "kill" [PID] in Red Hat Linux 6.0?