Modem problem (no OK, CONNECT, etc.)

Post by Spencer Shellma » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I'm trying to run a PPP script from Slackware Linux.  The modem does not
seem to be responding with the OK, CONNECT, or even NO CARRIER
messages.  It dials correctly and I can even log in, but the CONNECT
message never appears.  Could it be that this version of Linux doesn't
handle my modem correctly?

Modem problem (no OK, CONNECT, etc.)

Post by Spencer Shellma » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I'm trying to run a PPP script from Slackware Linux.  The modem does not
seem to be responding with the OK, CONNECT, or even NO CARRIER
messages.  It dials correctly and I can even log in, but the CONNECT
message never appears.  Could it be that this version of Linux doesn't
handle my modem correctly?

Modem problem (no OK, CONNECT, etc.)

Post by Jim Wildm » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00

On Thu, 03 Sep 1998 01:09:13 -0600, Spencer Shellman

>I'm trying to run a PPP script from Slackware Linux.  The modem does not
>seem to be responding with the OK, CONNECT, or even NO CARRIER
>messages.  It dials correctly and I can even log in, but the CONNECT
>message never appears.  Could it be that this version of Linux doesn't
>handle my modem correctly?

Or you don't have the debugging turned on in the script, which means it
throws away the messages.  Look in /var/log/messages.

If it works, I works, I wouldn't sweat not seeing the messages.
--

Jim Wildman

Modem problem (no OK, CONNECT, etc.)

Post by Ryan Oert » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00

On Thu, 03 Sep 1998 01:16:04 -0600, Spencer Shellman

>I'm trying to run a PPP script from Slackware Linux.  The modem does not
>seem to be responding with the OK, CONNECT, or even NO CARRIER
>messages.  It dials correctly and I can even log in, but the CONNECT
>message never appears.  Could it be that this version of Linux doesn't
>handle my modem correctly?

I don't have my modem manual handy, but there is an init string you
can send to the modem prior to dialing that will tell it to send
messages.  It's something like AT X4 or X3.  Check your modem manual.

When you go into minicom or whatever comm program you use, you should
be able to type 'AT <enter>' and get an 'OK' response.