I also have the Linksys LNE100TX card and it is "visible" in the devices
list. It was detected on 2 installs of RedHat 7.0. The ISA modem was
detected on the first install and worked perfectly, but it no longer works.
I am a newbie (obvious from my name) and for the second install I choose
doing a "custom" install. I did this because I wanted to learn what apps
were available and read the descriptions of them to see if they might be of
interest to me. After choosing a host of them they were installed -
RedHat7.0 checks for cross-compatibility to make sure any necessary apps
that might be required for some of my choices are included.
The modem worked okay at first, I think, I can't remember trying it out but
I am fairly sure that it worked okay. However after playing around and
trying out a few apps the modem is no longer available. When I rebooted,
after getting a fail on trying to use the modem to dial up to the internet,
I got a message on a text based setup screen (like XConfigurator) that said
I had 30 seconds to alter/remove/leave the settings of a hardware device
that was now removed. I said to ignore the request and see if it worked in
RedHat. It didn't. The next bootup the same message appeared. The modem
no longer works in RedHat now.
I've been playing about with the BIOS to see if I could get RedHat to
auto-detect the modem but to no avail. I've just checked my other PC, the
one with RedHat7.0 on it. The modem did work okay after the install the
second time around. It now fails. It's a dual booter, Win98SE, and the
modem works fine under Windows. It is NOT a Winmodem - NOT a Winmodem. It
used to work fine under RedHat but does not do so any more.
It was detected as dev/ttyS0. I have tried auto-detecting it but it says
that there is no modem installed.
What is wrong here? Have I mucked up the Configuration so that it no longer
finds my modem? Is the Kernel knackered? I think it is 2.2.16, or similar
to that. It is the default with the RedHat 7.0 install (Guinness).
Please help this newbie as he is banging his head against a brick wall.
:>> I set up module.conf tulip.o with options io=fc00 irq=10 (from diag dos
:>Changed it to io=0xfc00, didn't help.
:>I'd really like to use the existing tulip.o installed by redhat, it would
:>seem so much easier, and I know from other installs, that it works with
:>NIC. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong here.
:>Also followed instructions at
:>even with kgcc rpm installed:
:>I get the compile errors discussed
:>tulip.c: In function `tulip_open':
:>tulip.c:1437: structure has no member named `tbusy'
:>tulip.c:1438: structure has no member named `start'
I have done this several times. First, you will need to follow the
instructions about RH 7:
When updating a single driver you will need to build pci-scan.o along
with the specific driver.o file. This means that in addition to the
driver.c file, you must download pci-scan.c, pci-scan.h, and
I copied the compile instructions out of tulip.c and pci-scan.c and used
them EXACTLY along with adding the -I/usr/src/linux/include to the kgcc
(not gcc) compile command.
One other thing. I found that if I tried doing it after a workstation or
server install as opposed to a custom install, the kgcc compile did not
work. I reinstalled the system using the custom option and selected the
development package for install. My guess is that the non-custom install
does not get everything needed for kgcc.
In any event, after much banging around, it does work. I have done it
enough times now to have made just about every mistake possible.
Thank you, Mike.