Linux and Win98 tcp/ip compatible?? or not??

Linux and Win98 tcp/ip compatible?? or not??

Post by John » Sun, 20 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Okay Im running a distro of turbolinux worksataion 4.0. on one box and
win98 on a second box , and have a working LAN<at least threw win98 on
my second hd> between the boxes. What Im trying to accomplish is
connectivity threw the winows box to the net VIA a proxy server on it
<DSL coming in 3 weeks no sense in a new modem> actually Im not even to
worried about actually getting connected to the net, I would settle for
a simple ping to make it to the win box from Linux or vice a versa but
aint been able to even do that. Im running a NIC that uses the 8209
chipset from realtek on the linux box <the turbo distro came with the
NIC so I changed from mandrake to it as opposed to getting in over my
head trying to build a module to make a driver there> though Ive read
some thing here and there about 8309 being needed as well, Im not sure.
Ive pinged my box using 127.0.0.1 from X as suggested somewhere to see
if the NIC was working and it appears to be the only target I can hit.
Any help, ideas comments, long winded website pages to read until the
wee hours of the morn' will be greatly appreciated <yes Ive been 4 weeks
doing the search engine gig to no avail>

--
John

[pondering a nuclear war in Asia] Yeah, that's all very well, but NOT if
it's
going to make my next PC more expensive.

Post by Donald K Knepshie » Sun, 20 Aug 2000 04:00:00

[...]
        Could you add a little more about your network settings and how it
        is set up.  To answer the question in your post, yes they are. I am
        assuming the module is getting loaded properly for nic. (lsmod should
        show if it is loaded.) You should also have an entry in your
        conf.module file that looks like:  alias eth0 rtl8139 (or whatever
        the modules is).  An ifconfig eth0 will show if the interface is up
        and what IP address (if any) has been assigned to the card.  All of
        this information can help with the problem to start.
--

Kevin Knepshield

[...]

        Not to be too simplistic, but if there are only 2 machines, you are
        using a cross over cable, right?
:
: --
: John
:
: [pondering a nuclear war in Asia] Yeah, that's all very well, but NOT if
: it's
: going to make my next PC more expensive.

--

Kevin Knepshield

Linux and Win98 tcp/ip compatible?? or not??

Post by Alan William » Sun, 20 Aug 2000 04:00:00

John,

Please provide additional information about your configuration.  Do you have
multiple NICs in your linux box?  What are the IPs being used.  What is your
routing table set to.  I recently did the full configuration that you're
trying to do, so can bring actual experience to bear in how to resolve this.
I'm using Mandrake 7.1  in a server configuration on  a separate box and
running four Win98 boxes and a Windows 2000 box through it to access a DSL
connection.

Cheers,

Alan

> Okay Im running a distro of turbolinux worksataion 4.0. on one box and
> win98 on a second box , and have a working LAN<at least threw win98 on
> my second hd> between the boxes. What Im trying to accomplish is
> connectivity threw the winows box to the net VIA a proxy server on it
> <DSL coming in 3 weeks no sense in a new modem> actually Im not even to
> worried about actually getting connected to the net, I would settle for
> a simple ping to make it to the win box from Linux or vice a versa but
> aint been able to even do that. Im running a NIC that uses the 8209
> chipset from realtek on the linux box <the turbo distro came with the
> NIC so I changed from mandrake to it as opposed to getting in over my
> head trying to build a module to make a driver there> though Ive read
> some thing here and there about 8309 being needed as well, Im not sure.
> Ive pinged my box using 127.0.0.1 from X as suggested somewhere to see
> if the NIC was working and it appears to be the only target I can hit.
> Any help, ideas comments, long winded website pages to read until the
> wee hours of the morn' will be greatly appreciated <yes Ive been 4 weeks
> doing the search engine gig to no avail>

> --
> John

> [pondering a nuclear war in Asia] Yeah, that's all very well, but NOT if
> it's
> going to make my next PC more expensive.

Linux and Win98 tcp/ip compatible?? or not??

Post by John » Sun, 20 Aug 2000 04:00:00

<snipped>

Okay to answer you other quiry first no crossover cable am jacked into a
5 port hub with a standard cat5 patch cord.

The box <win98> I'm trying to connect to is assigned an ip address of
90.0.0.1 and a subnet of 255.255.255.0. The box Im trying to connect
from<linux> is assigned an ip adress of 90.0.0.2 and a subnet of
255.255.255.0. I have the gateway configged to 90.0.0.1, and the dns
function set to the ip of my dial up account, but without even going
into the routing and gateway Im unable to ping the ip addy of the win98
box Ive been lead to believe all the info I have read in the online doc.
Ive found that once the host <liux box> has been configged a ping via
the network to the ip addy of the win98 box should be possible??
I have enabled the eth0 and have the correct module choosen for the
driver, irq, i/o.

Does this sound correct as far as the setup should be, Im a total newbie
to Linux and am what I would consider an "advanced lamer"

I have encountered a new problem with Turbolinux as the dektop seems to
be totally unstable and wants to "melt" and the distro I have lacks much
doc. and I have reloaded a prior version on madrakes 7.0 complete
distro, unfortunatly it doesnt seem to want to load the module for the
drivers<I used your tip for lsmod and it appears that 8309 loads but
ne2k-pci does not> ~sigh~ Ive followed the instructions on mandrakes
site to a "T" as to how to setup the NIC and the address's etc.....Im
thinking driver problems??<SMC was only supposed to send me the most
current driver info 3 days ago time to call again>

--
John

**(side note to anyone folowing this and intrested)
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/demos/Networking/
totally user friendly for the new user.

Linux and Win98 tcp/ip compatible?? or not??

Post by John » Sun, 20 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> John,

> Please provide additional information about your configuration.  Do >you have
> multiple NICs in your linux box?  What are the IPs being used.  What >is your
> routing table set to.  I recently did the full configuration that >you're
> trying to do, so can bring actual experience to bear in how to resolve >this.
> I'm using Mandrake 7.1  in a server configuration on  a separate box and
> running four Win98 boxes and a Windows 2000 box through it to access a >DSL
> connection.

> Cheers,

> Alan

Details....Please=o)

See my reply to Donald for the ip settings etc... I went back to
Mandrake 7.0 complete as Turbolinux was doing some silly shit when I was
in X.

My ultimate goal is to get away from a proxy server fo dual connection,
but at this point would be totally happy just to ping the win98 box. I
have a single NIC installed though I do have DFE-530TX+ laying around I
could toss in if multi NICs are needed.

Not to change the subject but, since you also use mandrake. Everytime I
boot into X my cursor stays in an X instead of the normal pointer unless
its over a icon, window, kosole etc, and the KFM window has only popped
up once when x starts and this was immediatly after the intial install.
Im thinking that something in the background is trying to do something
is why the cursors acting up and ideas??
--
John

[pondering a nuclear war in Asia] Yeah, that's all very well, but NOT if
it's
going to make my next PC more expensive.

Linux and Win98 tcp/ip compatible?? or not??

Post by John » Sun, 20 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> >> John,

> >> Please provide additional information about your configuration.  Do >you have
> >> multiple NICs in your linux box?  What are the IPs being used.  What >is your
> >> routing table set to.  I recently did the full configuration that >you're
> >> trying to do, so can bring actual experience to bear in how to resolve >this.
> >> I'm using Mandrake 7.1  in a server configuration on  a separate box and
> >> running four Win98 boxes and a Windows 2000 box through it to access a >DSL
> >> connection.

> >> Cheers,

> >> Alan

> >Details....Please=o)

> >See my reply to Donald for the ip settings etc... I went back to
> >Mandrake 7.0 complete as Turbolinux was doing some silly shit when I was
> >in X.

> >My ultimate goal is to get away from a proxy server fo dual connection,
> >but at this point would be totally happy just to ping the win98 box. I
> >have a single NIC installed though I do have DFE-530TX+ laying around I
> >could toss in if multi NICs are needed.

> >Not to change the subject but, since you also use mandrake. Everytime I
> >boot into X my cursor stays in an X instead of the normal pointer unless
> >its over a icon, window, kosole etc, and the KFM window has only popped
> >up once when x starts and this was immediatly after the intial install.
> >Im thinking that something in the background is trying to do something
> >is why the cursors acting up and ideas??
> >--
> >John

> Actually the cursor is supposed to be an X, this is the normal pointer.

Thanxxx

Well now thats a relief.

Quote:> --

--
John

I don't know whether to be proud of myself or mildly ashamed.
In fact, this could be my epitaph.

Post by moonie; » Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:54:59

>> John,

>> Please provide additional information about your configuration.  Do >you have
>> multiple NICs in your linux box?  What are the IPs being used.  What >is your
>> routing table set to.  I recently did the full configuration that >you're
>> trying to do, so can bring actual experience to bear in how to resolve >this.
>> I'm using Mandrake 7.1  in a server configuration on  a separate box and
>> running four Win98 boxes and a Windows 2000 box through it to access a >DSL
>> connection.

>> Cheers,

>> Alan

>Details....Please=o)

>See my reply to Donald for the ip settings etc... I went back to
>Mandrake 7.0 complete as Turbolinux was doing some silly shit when I was
>in X.

>My ultimate goal is to get away from a proxy server fo dual connection,
>but at this point would be totally happy just to ping the win98 box. I
>have a single NIC installed though I do have DFE-530TX+ laying around I
>could toss in if multi NICs are needed.

>Not to change the subject but, since you also use mandrake. Everytime I
>boot into X my cursor stays in an X instead of the normal pointer unless
>its over a icon, window, kosole etc, and the KFM window has only popped
>up once when x starts and this was immediatly after the intial install.
>Im thinking that something in the background is trying to do something
>is why the cursors acting up and ideas??
>--
>John

Actually the cursor is supposed to be an X, this is the normal pointer.
--
moonie ;)

Registered Linux User #175104

KDE2
Kernel 2.4.0-test5
XFree86 4.0 Nvidia .94 drivers
RAID 0 Stripped
Test-Pilots-R-Us ;)

Linux and Win98 tcp/ip compatible?? or not??

Post by Donald K Knepshie » Wed, 23 Aug 2000 14:01:09

:
:

:
: <snipped>
:
[...]
        This sounds similar to how my LAN is setup, and seems correct.  I use
        192.168.*.* or 10.*.*.* address as I am familiar with those being in
        the set of reserved IP's commonly used for lans (there are a couple
        more sets that I don't remember without looking up.).  If everything
        is correct if sounds like the ping should work.  Some things that I have
        heard could cause problems that could be easily overlooked are:  Are
        both the network cards able to work at the same speed, ie.  not trying to
        use a 10mbs and 100mbs card.  Another problem I heard someone mention
        was using a 100 mbs nic on a 10mbs hub.  Again, these problems were
        word of mouth.  My switch/hub requires all the boxes to hook up with
        regular patch cable, but my cable modem required a cross over, that is
        why I had asked about the cable you used also.

        Make sure that the TCP/IP is setup and bound to the NIC on the win98
        box.  I have seen windows networking do weird things, especially is
        an AOL dialup account is installed on the system (I had to do a total
        wipe of the interfaces and binding in win98 and start over).  Under
        network setting in win98, under the Advanced TAb in the TCP/IP menu
        item for your network card, try setting the "use this as the default
        protocol" option and see if that affects anything.

        You might try a different set of IP ranges, again I only remember the
        two sets I mentioned above, the set you use might be in the reserved
        set, but they dont seem to come to ming, try the 192.168.*.* set, I
        know they are fine.

        I'm not overly experienced with networking, but maybe some of this could
        help.  If I'm wrong about any of it I'm sure someone would poing it out.
        I use 3c509 cards and D-Link 530TX+ cards in my network and Redhat 6.2
        detected both brands trouble free out of the box.  You might switch the
        cards out and see how it goes if all else fails.

        Later,
        Kevin Knepshield