Linux multicast routing

Post by rober » Sat, 12 Apr 2003 00:42:29

Hello group,

I am developing a multicast application, which is required to run
across subnet boundaries.  The problem is that I do not know how
to configure the linux router box to route multicast packets.

I tried mrouted 3.9-beta3, but failed with this error message:
  mrouted: 16:25:45.841 can't enable Multicast routing in kernel:
  Protocol not available

Following into the source code(with GDB), it turns out the following
setsockopt returns the error:
  if (setsockopt(igmp_socket, IPPROTO_IP, MRT_INIT,
                (char *)&v, sizeof(int)) < 0) ...

I have no idea now.  I have already recompiled kernel with
CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST=y, CONFIG_IP_MROUTE=y and CONFIG_NET_IPIP=m.

Could anybody kindly point to me that:

1) whether mrouted is the right tool to use, if yes, how I can make
it work?

2) are there any other tools for this scenario?  I do not need the
multicast tunnel functions.

If it is important, I am using Debian linux, with kernel 2.4.20.

Regards,
Robert

Linux multicast routing

Post by Gius » Sat, 12 Apr 2003 01:16:15

> Hello group,

> I am developing a multicast application, which is required to run
> across subnet boundaries.  The problem is that I do not know how
> to configure the linux router box to route multicast packets.

> I tried mrouted 3.9-beta3, but failed with this error message:
>   mrouted: 16:25:45.841 can't enable Multicast routing in kernel:
>   Protocol not available

> Following into the source code(with GDB), it turns out the following
> setsockopt returns the error:
>   if (setsockopt(igmp_socket, IPPROTO_IP, MRT_INIT,
>                 (char *)&v, sizeof(int)) < 0) ...

> I have no idea now.  I have already recompiled kernel with
> CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST=y, CONFIG_IP_MROUTE=y and CONFIG_NET_IPIP=m.

> Could anybody kindly point to me that:

> 1) whether mrouted is the right tool to use, if yes, how I can make
> it work?

> 2) are there any other tools for this scenario?  I do not need the
> multicast tunnel functions.

> If it is important, I am using Debian linux, with kernel 2.4.20.

> Regards,
> Robert

hi robert,
try this package smcroute...
With smcroute you can use smcroute like a daemon (with the option -d)
and you can do the join for the group multicast*with -j or -l for leave)!
For your convenience try (if use mrouted) to add a static route for the
multicast like route add -host 224.1.1.10 gw dev etc...

if have any problem contact me...

bye
gius